PDA

View Full Version : Audio sync problems with relatively slow connection

macula
08-14-2009, 08:10 AM
Hello,

I use Replay Media Catcher 3.0.2 to capture RTMP streams from medici.tv. My connection is not 100% adequate, and as a result playback in my web browser suffers from the occasional short interruptions that we are all familiar with in streaming video.

I purchased RMC in order to be able to watch these videos offline, and thus without those annoying interruptions.

The problem is that there is a gradual loss of synchronization between audio and video in all captured video files (.flv). In other words, audio and video are perfectly in sync at the beginning, slightly out of sync 5 minutes into the recording, and terribly out of sync 45 minutes or so into the recording.

Any solutions?

Thank you.

stream-recorder.com
08-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Just recorded a 280 Mb video with RMC 3.0.2 and it is perfectly synced. What version of RMC do you use? What player do you use to play your recordings?

macula
08-14-2009, 09:32 AM
Thank you for your response.

I use RMC 3.0.2 to record and the bundled FLV player by Applian to playback the file. Other players have trouble playing back the file and they produce artifacts (like traces of previous frames that seem to "stick"). Quite interestingly, those players manage to synchronize audio and video quite accurately. :confused: Could the problem lie in some missing ("dropped") frames of video, which different players deal with with different methods, resulting either in corrupt video or in out-of-sync audio?

I should have noted that the introductory video (and all videos under the "Playlist" tab of the web site) is indeed recorded perfectly well. The problematic videos are located under the "Catalogue" tab. May I kindly ask you to repeat the test with one of those videos?

macula
08-14-2009, 11:20 AM
OK, mea culpa. The problem exists with and without the RMC, so I guess my downstream bandwidth is just inadequate, OR my Windows Virtual Machine on my MAC (via VMWare Fusion) is slowing the system down too much. Will try again by booting in Windows with no virtualization.

Thanks.

stream-recorder.com
08-14-2009, 08:04 PM
I should have noted that the introductory video (and all videos under the "Playlist" tab of the web site) is indeed recorded perfectly well. The problematic videos are located under the "Catalogue" tab. May I kindly ask you to repeat the test with one of those videos?
The videos in the Catalogue are too short for me to notice any problem with syncing. Try to watch with freeware VLC player and see whether there is any difference with Applian FLV Player. Also try to fast forward online videos and see whether they are synced well.