PDA

View Full Version : Convert multiple .mp3 files to one .m4b file

jppwt
08-10-2009, 06:30 AM
I have many audiobooks in mp3 format. They consist of many .mp3 files. I would like to convert these from many .mp3 files to one .m4b file. When I try replay converter, it converts each mp3 file to an m4b file. Is there any way to do what I want with your products?

Thanks,
John

Cheryl Wester
08-10-2009, 10:50 AM
Each file is converted as a separate file as that is what it is originally. You might want to try our Replay Media Splitter (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-splitter/demo.php)program and join the files together first. Then do the convertsion.

stream-recorder.com
08-11-2009, 09:05 AM
It would be nice to join the files with Replay Converter instead.

Cheryl Wester
08-11-2009, 09:26 AM
The converter program does not have that feature. Thanks.

jppwt
08-23-2009, 01:30 PM
Each file is converted as a separate file as that is what it is originally. You might want to try our Replay Media Splitter (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-splitter/demo.php)program and join the files together first. Then do the convertsion.

I finally got around to trying Replay Media Splitter. I had to upgrade from 1.5. I was trying to make each CD it's own MP3 file. The first had 22 tracks. The program got to 12% and crashed. I have found Applian products work ok except under stress (large files, many files, etc.). They do not handle estimating sizes (eg. How much can be burned to a CD), processing large numbers of files (22?), or processing large files well. They crash a lot in those conditions. I think the programs seem to be good for small simple projects, but they cannot do any large tasks. I LOVE Replay A/V (except when I tried using it to record from my sound card for a long time...then it hung). I guess I'll use Applian products for small stuff and look for industrial strength programs to do the big stuff that your products can't handle.

One last suggestion: Please put the limitations of your programs in your documentation. If you can only merge 3 mp3 files, then say so. If you can't convert more than CDs worth of mp3 files (and it's up to the user to determine how many mp3 files fit on a CD), then say so. I think it's

Cheryl Wester
08-24-2009, 04:08 PM
It is difficult to determine how many files will go on a CD as each file is a different size. Some CDs might hold 20 files as an example while others would only hold 3 or 4.

jppwt
09-01-2009, 05:04 PM
It is difficult to determine how many files will go on a CD as each file is a different size. Some CDs might hold 20 files as an example while others would only hold 3 or 4.

Give me a break! There are many programs that calculate file sizes for copying to media. Don't try to tell me you have no way of knowing. I've seen it done. They either tell you you have too much or they gracefully split the files between multiple media. Many of your programs throw up instead.

Applian also needs to learn to do better error checking so you can give reasonable error messages rather than hanging or crashing.

oldbenkenobi
12-24-2009, 01:44 PM
I have many audiobooks in mp3 format. They consist of many .mp3 files. I would like to convert these from many .mp3 files to one .m4b file. When I try replay converter, it converts each mp3 file to an m4b file. Is there any way to do what I want with your products?

Thanks,
John

I would recommend that you look at the MP3-to-Ipod Audio Book Converter at http://www.freeipodsoftware.com/. This is what I've used to join the multiple files together for audiobooks. This is a free tool that works well in conjunction with the Applian tools.

Old Ben Kenobi
"May The Force Be With You"