PDA

View Full Version : Streaming - and KFI

sethm1
07-18-2009, 09:54 PM
Any one know when I'll be able to set Reply A/V to record via Download Streaming?
I just heard that KFI does not allow the stream recording.
Is there a work around?
I have one other show, but looks like I can't set KFI to Capture by Recording Audio (Whether by Windows Media, General Streaming or Real Audio) and another show (same time) via Download Streaming. So its either one show or the other.

thetalk
07-19-2009, 09:55 AM
Well, there was another thread that addressed this. They suggested removing the old schedule, and then add them again with the updated information. The catch is that they can only record by capturing the audio output... you can not currently capture the download stream.

NOTE: When I did this, it opened the player and recorded the show, but it did not CLOSE that player. So when my next show came on, it opened another player, and recorded the second show with both going at the same time. The end result is that every show recorded after the first one is ruined, with multiple shows recorded talking over each other. Even the same station plays over itself with a 10 or 12 second delay. Unlistenable! Not sure how it works on other computers, but I have to manually close the player between shows.

My other option is using recording software goldwave. I manually open the player for KFI and just leave it running. Use gold wave with the timer option to start recording at the time I want. I like Replay AV, but I've missed a lot of shows the past couple of weeks. Good luck.

Cheryl Wester
07-19-2009, 09:16 PM
We do have the show set up for audio capture in the Media Guide. It works great but it will only record one show at a time with audio. You are able to capture other shows using stream capture at the same time as this however. As an alternative you are able to use Replay Media Catcher but you are not able to have a schedule with this program.

sethm1
07-19-2009, 09:30 PM
By the way I do not use a URL for a specific show.
KFI: http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/ondemand/player.html?world=st
KRLA: http://www.streamaudio.com/Player/Player.aspx?Station=KRLA_AM&filename=&Optin=no

Replay A/v will not allow Capture by Download stream for one radio stn AND Capture by Recording Audio Output for another.

If I use Capture by Recording Audio Output, which type is preferred: General Streaming Audio, Window Media Or Real, or External Line in ?

what is Replay Media Catcher? I don't see that feature.

PS: when I Rt click on any of my shows, Properties menu does not open (using Vista 64 Bit SP2). But Rt click in Windows 7 does work. Just an FYI.

Cheryl Wester
07-20-2009, 07:40 AM
If you are using Windows 7 we have not made the program fully compatible with that as of yet as we are still testing it. All of our other programs do work fine with Windows 7. Here is a link to Replay Media Catcher (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php)for you.

sethm1
07-20-2009, 09:01 AM
I am using Vista - day to day.
I have a old machine I put Win 7 on. But yes it works fine for me with Reply A/V. I just don't use the 7 PC as it does not have my e-mail set up on it.

hope catcher works!
Anything about that program I should know (in setting up)?

carlobee
07-22-2009, 07:13 PM
If you are using Windows 7 we have not made the program fully compatible with that as of yet as we are still testing it. All of our other programs do work fine with Windows 7. Here is a link to Replay Media Catcher (http://www.applian.com/replay-media-catcher/demo.php)for you.

yup. i agree. everything works fine under Windows 7.

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg

sethm1
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Cheryl -
I downloaded the Catcher -
Am I correct that it can not record 2 radio shows at once?
I am having a heck of a time using it.
Also sent you a private msg.
thx

Cheryl Wester
07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Replay Media Catcher is able to capture more than one file at a time. If you are having a difficult time with it please contact tech support for it or look in the forum for that particular program. Thanks.

sethm1
07-23-2009, 06:07 PM
actually, since I have paid for the Reply A/V- I do not feel I should pay another $40 bucks when Replay A/V should be working 100% !

thetalk
07-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Hi Applian,
Will you post something here when this is fixed, or should we test for KFI every now and then?
By the way, what is this KFI issue anyway? Why is it taking so long to work around? Is this something that might be reccurring problem?
Thanks

Cheryl Wester
07-29-2009, 02:06 PM
There is nothing to fix. It is not broken. They have just changed the way they stream. You are able to capture it by using audio capture but due to the way they are streaming stream capture is not going to work. If you add it from our website you will find that it is set up correctly for you with audio capture.

sethm1
07-29-2009, 07:51 PM
I wrote to KFI.
"Ernie" of Clear Channel replied-
"I can't help you with Replay A/V. I only handle problems with streaming
from our website."

I also asked if ClearChannel changed the way KFI is streamed from 6 months to say a year ago? I noticed the difficulty in recording the stream about 6 months ago.

He replied: We changed about 2 months ago. Started using Flash version 10.

So – is there a work around?

Also - I can not record 2 shows at once, one being stream capture and the other general audio capture.

thetalk
08-07-2009, 12:44 PM
Hi Sethm1,
Thanks for sharing that info.
I am able to capture one audio recording while downloading a stream of another station. (Specifically Saturday's "Handel" on KFI and "Car Talk" on some station from Texas). I was always a little wary about this. Just so I wouldn't worry so much, I manually changed the times. Car Talk starts recording at 10, and then Handel starts about 5 minutes later. I think that gives the program time to get one up and running before starting the other one. Having them both start at the same time with different recording methods seems like it's inviting something to hang up or go wrong.
Good luck.

sethm1
08-16-2009, 12:35 PM
I too had set the programs to not start at the exact time- so something odd is going on.

stream-recorder.com
08-17-2009, 01:28 AM
Replay Media Catcher (RMC) can record from KFI, but it doesn't support scheduling. Keep bugging the developers so that they either add support of such streams to Replay AV or add scheduling to RMC:

Do you need RTMP support in Replay AV and/or scheduling support in Replay Media Catcher? Vote and tell us your opinion.

thetalk
08-19-2009, 10:20 AM
Cheryl, any chance of this???

Cheryl Wester
08-20-2009, 03:23 PM
You are able to record with KFI and you are able to schedule a recording. Due to the way they are streaming you need to use audio capture. Go ahead and delete what you have and give it a try. We always work on improving our programs and if the developer has a way of handling this and the other stations that have made changes he will. thanks.

den154
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Since I have paid for the Reply A/V- I do not feel I should pay another $40 bucks when Replay A/V should be working 100% !

Cheryl Wester
08-30-2009, 10:40 AM
The program is working as it should. When stations change the way they stream that is out of our hands. You are still able to record with AV but you will need to use audio capture and not stream capture with this type of file.

thetalk
09-04-2009, 08:09 PM
Ok, let me start off by saying that I love using Replay AV, and I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I do want to express my frustration with using it for KFI (since almost all my recordings come from that station). And I'm not trying to vent, I truly want to make sure this is somewhere on the developer's radar screen.
I don't think that a station changing its streaming method should put the program down for the count, because that is what the product is designed to do. The streams came before the software, not the other way around. I understand the need for an update, but when we're told that "it's working" and "there's nothing to fix," it makes me think that nobody is looking into improving the functionality.
The designers can declare that it's working all day long, but that doesn't make it so. It used to never let me down, but now I can only be assured that it's working when I'm there to hold its hand. If the sound doesn't start up quickly enough for Replay AV, then it tries again, and opens another player window. Then it records 3 (or more!) players that are all out of phase and talking over each other.
Then when stops recording the sounds, it will not shut down ANY of the players. So even if it did work with the single player, you have to manually shut that player down before the next show comes on. Otherwise you'll get 2 (or more) competing players again.

Cheryl Wester
09-05-2009, 10:20 AM
When you use audio capture you are only able to record one show at a time. You are correct that they cannot overlap. The developer is working on trying to find a way to capture KFI with ReplayAV and stream capture. Your concerns are not being ignored as there are a lot of stations that have changed with the Clear Channel and we always like to stay on top of it. It is not as easy as it sounds to get a good URL for stations. Thanks.

excalifornian
09-13-2009, 10:40 PM
I too listen almost exclusively to KFI and am totally frustrated by the KFI changes. It appears they have been sold a bill of goods by some ad agency that thinks we're going to sit and look at their flash player pushing ads into our face. They forget that radio is not television! Who looks at the radio while listening? Only time I've seen that is in an ancient photo of people listening to FDR! We do all kinds of other things, at home or at work, or work at home. I listen almost 24/7, and record with Replay A/V. Have done so for years.

Flash is a resource hog. Slows computer to less than a crawl. If I'm going to be productive, have to shut down KFI totally. Have to have another browser open to listen, to accommodate the "flash" which I never, EVER look at. The extra browser uses 5 or 6 times the memory that Replay A/V does even while recording. Recording "what you hear" is NOT practical 'cause of all the stupid "automatic audio" on so many sites. Ruins recordings. Which means you cannot surf normally or get any work done. And you have to turn off all your computer sounds. Cannot record in the background. Cannot do anything at all with sound on your computer while recording. Extremely impractical. I have set my browsers to NOT play any flash unless I specifically want that particular site to do so. It is MY choice to not have flash slow my computer.

Also, many IT departments in businesses forbid KFI in order to stop the extra bandwidth use for flash. All in all, force flash ads on us, and KFI loses listeners as a result. We should start a campaign to let KFI know. Let them know that RADIO IS NOT TELEVISION!

sethm1
09-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Great points.

How do you turn "Flash" off in Firefox?

Cheryl- Glad to hear the developer is working on this issue.

stream-recorder.com
09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
How do you turn "Flash" off in Firefox?
I use FlashBlock extension for Firefox. It allows you to hit the play button to activate a particular flash object.

ace1156
10-17-2009, 12:17 PM
Hi I live in S.Carolina and I just tune in to Leo Laporte with no problems on KFI in LA Cal. Try this http://www.replay-video.com/user/redirect_station.php?show_id=346&id=158

Cammo
10-31-2009, 09:03 PM
This has been a MAJOR frustration for me ever since clear channel morons started implementing it...one station at a time. Now townhall.com is starting it on some stations.

If you look at the URL, they are imbedding an "auth code" in the URL. The code periodically changes throughout the day so if you try to record the stream after that, it is, in effect, a different URL and won't connect. It seems to me that all Applian would have to do is log on through the website, start the player, capture and update the URL then use whatever process they use currently to record the stream. How 'bout it guys?

excalifornian
11-08-2009, 08:51 PM
Here is a workaround for stations like KFI and KRLA that have gone to that stupid "flash" system, which means we cannot record in the usual manner. This way you can record unattended, and undoubtedly it will work with any station.

1. Set your Applian recorder to the times you want to record, just like normal. But don't put in any URL Leave that area blank. Set to "What You Hear".

2. Now go to the station's website and open the flash player. That url in the address bar is what you need to copy for the next step.

(These directions are for my system, XP, but you should be able to find the equivalent in other systems.)

3. Now go over to Start > Control Panel > Scheduled Tasks > Add Scheduled Task.

A wizard will walk you through the setup. Decide what browser you want to use. At the end, either check the box that you want to open the extra settings (whatever it's called) or finish it and then right-click for Properties.

4. Under the "Task" tab, the "Run" field should have this format:
(this is for the KRLA player)

"C:\Documents and Settings\Carol\Local Settings\Application Data\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" http:\den-a.plr.liquidcompass.net\player\flash\audio_player. php?id=KRLAAM&uid=104

What you will find initially is the string for the browser only, not the station's player. It will end with iexplore.exe, chrome.exe, whatever. First, make sure that string is within quote marks. Then add a single space at the end. Then paste in the player's url, no more quotes.

5. Then go to the "Schedule" tab. Check off the days you want it to run, and what time to start.

6. To set the duration, click the "Settings" tab. The default is to run 72 hours! Why, who knows. That's a weird number, so change it to whatever you need.

You are now finished. Test, test, test. Right-click and tell it to run. If the browser opens and you hear the station, you're all set. I'd advise (being somewhat paranoid) that you sit and watch it at the scheduled time, to make sure there is no glitch.

Do this for each time and each station. I made a separate one for each program, but there is an option for you to make multiple schedules on the same station.

The Good: Without the URL in Replay, it will start recording immediately. When it has a URL in that field, there's a delay, waiting for the Replay player to open. Then if there's no sound, you'll get a popup notice. So this way is fast, with the URL field empty, which means there's no waiting for the Replay player. And this whole method bypasses the "tricks" or whatever the stations are doing, requiring a token or something to be renewed every so often.

The Bad: You cannot go surfing on the net while it's running this way because far too many websites have flash or audio that starts automatically that will ruin your recording.

The Ugly: You may want to convert the recordings down to a smaller size, depending on what you get. 128 down to 32 is what I do to save space. What I record is speech so don't need higher than 32. I also convert all .asf files to .mp3 for more playback choices.

I did think that you had to have the sound actually being heard in the room (you do have to see the green bars on Replay, however) but I experimented the other day and found that you can turn the volume off on your external speakers and still have the green bars and still make a proper recording! Good news! This means you can record even while someone is sleeping.

I hope this workaround helps a lot of people. Remember to test, test, test, and then test again, making sure it works on your particular system.

(Maybe Cheryl can cross-post or give links to this guide in all the appropriate places where people are talking about this kind of problem.)

P.S., for some programs, you can use the Media Guide or the program's website directly to find if it's on another station across the country. That's what I've done with some programs, and I can use Replay with those stations the normal way. Downside of that is that the different time zones drive me crazy!

sethm1
11-09-2009, 07:15 PM
The "Bad" is a biggie - as I am a multi-tasker.

excalifornian
11-09-2009, 08:26 PM
The "Bad" is a biggie - as I am a multi-tasker.

Alas, so am I! That's why I've stopped recording KFI completely and wait for the podcast. It's a real pain because many times what I really want is the news segment (being a news junkie and all). But KRLA doesn't have podcasts so I have to stop all surfing for that one. (I used to work there before relocation.)

Ashcan
11-21-2009, 08:48 AM
This has been a MAJOR frustration for me ever since clear channel morons started implementing it...one station at a time. Now townhall.com is starting it on some stations. ... If you look at the URL, they are imbedding an "auth code" in the URL. The code periodically changes throughout the day so if you try to record the stream after that, it is, in effect, a different URL and won't connect.
This is also taking place on the newer Flash based streams.

For example, I just started KFI's flash stream. The actual URL that passed in the background to start the stream was:
rtmp://96.17.149.142:1935/live?_fcs_vhost=cp19771.live.edgefcs.net&akmfv=1.7&auth=daEcrdNdDbnbYcO

There is an auth code at the end, and it also changes just like the older Windows Media streams did.

thetalk
11-23-2009, 12:53 PM
Hmmm, I couldn’t get the “scheduled task” thing to work, but I did have some success with part of excalifornian’s suggestion. I replaced the ReplayAV URL with the URL that appeared in the online player for KFI when I manually opened it. Replay AV still did not close the window after recording the show, but this was the first time in weeks (possibly even MONTHS!) that I got the full 4 hours of “Handel on the Law” to play all the way through, without opening multiple windows (which, as I said, not only ruins the recording, as well as any subsequent untended recordings). I’m at work now so I can’t say for sure, but I think I used the following. . .

http://www.kfi640.com/cc-common/ondemand/player.html?world=st
. . . and it worked great! It was almost like the good ol’ days when it worked each and every time! I didn’t have an authentication code, so I hope that that this will keep working without one.

sethm1
01-31-2010, 05:23 PM
thetalk -

Your link is almost there.
I had to click on the radio stations tab- so not quite automatic.

pdxuser
02-01-2010, 03:51 AM
Here's a Windows Media stream for KFI:

http://ordorica.org/tune.pl?station=kfi640

This should work continuously. Credit goes to Hector Ordorica at ordorica.org for figuring this out. More instructions for other Clear Channel stations are on his website.

sethm1
02-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Great !
Oh, so can not wait to try this out.

Update - hey, it does work.
But am I correct that when Streaming there is no sound to come out of the (PC's) speakers ?

thetalk
02-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Seth,
That's strange, I've been using it for a couple of months and it has worked automatically. Post your experience with the new link too. Always good to have a back up with these things.

sethm1
02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
The Hector link is working fine so far.

No audio during the recording- but I seem to recall thats a symptom when Streaming.

Cheryl Wester
02-08-2010, 05:01 PM
We now have this set up to capture using stream capture. We believe we have a way for the stations to stream now and we are updating links. With over 400 stations it is going to take a while but we are working on it as fast as we can.

thetalk
02-13-2010, 07:55 AM
By Jove, I think they've got it! I just ran a test, and it went through several retry's, but after 4 or 5 seconds, it started capturing the stream! Thanks!

Cammo
02-15-2010, 06:46 PM
We now have this set up to capture using stream capture. We believe we have a way for the stations to stream now and we are updating links. With over 400 stations it is going to take a while but we are working on it as fast as we can.

Very cool Cheryl, nicely done!! Any word on when you might "crack" Townhall.com stations in general; KRLA and KCBQ in particular?

Cheryl Wester
02-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Nope. If we do they will be updated. Thanks.

pdxuser
02-25-2010, 03:33 AM
KRLA: http://c1.mp3.liquidcompass.net/KRLAAMAAC
KCBQ: http://c1.mp3.liquidcompass.net/KCBQAMAAC

Cheryl Wester
02-26-2010, 06:50 PM
I believe we have updated this again. It seems to be a never ending battle as they change often.

wardmd
03-01-2011, 08:07 AM
Good News!

Three IS a way to CAPTURE BY DOWNLOADING STREAM on MOST (if not all) Clear Channel stations.

First, Applian is working to UPDATE their database with the new information.

For those who simply CAN'T WAIT, manually change your recording type to "Capture by Downloading stream" and set the URL to:

http://www.vtuner.com/vtunerweb/asp/dynamcc.asp?ID=http://www.kfiam640.com/cc-common/ondemand/player.html?world=st

(the above example is for KFI [Los Angeles]) - simply substitute your desired stations website in place of the "www.kfiam640.com" and you should be in business!

sethm1
03-01-2011, 12:26 PM
This is good news -
thanks for not letting this go.

Cheryl Wester
03-01-2011, 06:46 PM
We have also updated KFI in our database so it is now working with stream capture. We are updating as fast as we can. So far we are managing about a 90 percent success rate. Thanks.

sethm1
03-05-2011, 01:16 PM
well - looks like I am the 10% of the failure rate.
No luck with General streaming - get a no sound error OR Capture by download streaming - get a page not found.

Cheryl Wester
03-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Are you adding it from the Media Guide? The ten percent refers to the stations and not to individuals. I just checked and it is recording without an issue. Delete what you have and add it from the media guide.

sethm1
03-06-2011, 10:47 AM
After first seeing your post I simply cut and pasted the link and replaced the old one.
No luck.
Then went to "Add Show" and copied that link.
No luck.

This when I sent a post.

Then deleted the show altogether - then re-installed AV 8.82 and then added in the new show- this time again going to "Add Show"

Now, I think it is working. Will no for sure later today.

thetalk
03-06-2011, 07:28 PM
I'm surprised a re-install was needed for you to do this, but I guess no two computers are just alike. I just deleted the shows, and then added them again using the Media Guide. And when you are adding them, you can look under the "Recording" tab to see that it has defaulted to "Capture by downloading streams". I used to set more things up myself and fine tune with trial-and-error, but now I've learned to let ReplayAV do as much of the work for me as possible. By the way, I'm so glad to have the stream option available again!!!

sethm1
03-06-2011, 10:28 PM
Was successful this afternoon.