PDA

View Full Version : RMC Software maintenace

cnernst
07-01-2009, 03:26 AM
Hi,

I bought RMC one year ago and was happy with it at the beginning.

But since Applian disconnected the support to record Hulu flash movies, the number of sites on which RMC doesn't work is growing.
6 months ago there was a statement in the forum, that they agreed to the request from Adobe/Hulu not to update some dll anymore, and only old customers have the required dll.

Also in the past I got at least an update of some helper dlls every month.

So my simple question is, will this software still be updated to new flash versions or not?

Kind regards

tpro
07-05-2009, 02:26 PM
http://applian.com/replay-media-catcher/support/secure-rtmp-measures.php
says:
"As of January 28, 2009, any newly installed copy of Replay Media Catcher does not support Adobe Secure RTMP Measures."

There are numerous problems here:

(1) Applian continually prompts users to "upgrade to newer version"; if one follows that recommendation, RMC becomes a "new" installation and the user loses functionality (e.g., the ability to capture from Hulu).

(2) Applian NEVER warned users that they would be losing functionality when they upgraded; the closest "hint" on the RMC change log at http://www.applian.com/blog/updates/replay-media-catcher.html might be the cryptic comment from February 27, 2009 "-Fix for miscellaneous sites that use the RTMP protocol."

(3) If any users were aware or lucky enough to have not installed an update, they would still be S.O.L. if they ever wanted to re-install the RMC application (e.g., when migrating to a new PC, or to recover from a failed hard drive, or ....)

This is like buying a car with a V8, taking it in for a regular tuneup, and leaving with a V6 (without being told about the switch and without any ability to put back the V8 that you paid for in the first place!)

It's a shame that this company, which I had previously thought well of and had recommended to others for their willingness to provide good support for decent products, ended up deciding that their only course of action was to deliberately deceive their customers.

I have very little sympathy for Applian's legal issues with Adobe; Applian took my money (several times), and they have now downgraded their RMC product with no warning, no apology, and no recourse -- except, of course, the loss of my future business.

Tasha Heinlein
07-05-2009, 07:29 PM
The older version of Media Catcher no longer works with Hulu or any site using these secure RTMP measures. There really is no reason to hang on to the older version, it was broke almost immediately when Adobe released an update that caused the plug-in to fail.

katpiper
07-09-2009, 08:53 PM
I, too, have been frustrated with trying to download Hulu videos. RMC doesn't work anymore and RVC is real time -- you can't do anything else on your computer while the video is being recorded. Also, in my system, the recorded sound is practically non-existant.

But today I found the solution -- at least until Hulu catches on and puts a stop to this, too. Check out http://www.downloadtoolz.com/hulu/ This is a *free* download and, even better, it works! I suggest you download the video to a .flv file, then use Replay Converter to do the conversion to iPod -- or whatever you're going for. You can minimize it while it is downloading and go on doing other stuff. You can also -- theoretically -- download more than 1 video at a time. (The only way that I've found that to work is to start several instances of the downloader.)