PDA

View Full Version : Looming threat by ISPs to limit stream recording!

musikon
06-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Unless I am mistaken, it appears that storm clouds are currently gathering which may lead to a collusion among all Internet Service Providers to impose prohibitive charges for recording internet streams, both audio and video. This threat, if put into practice, would effectively shut down the use of stream recording programs such as Replay A/V for any serious and continuing recording activity!!

I do not believe that it is too early for users of Replay A/V to stop this limitation of internet stream recording before it gets off the ground. If users don't wake up immediately to this looming threat, they will be thrown off the cliff before they know what hit them.

floydj
06-16-2008, 06:52 AM
Unless I am mistaken, it appears that storm clouds are currently gathering which may lead to a collusion among all Internet Service Providers to impose prohibitive charges for recording internet streams, both audio and video.

Source of your information? Is the recording that will be limited or the streaming? I have seen hints of charges for excessive loads such as may come from streaming - but not for recording per se.

Floyd

musikon
06-16-2008, 11:11 PM
Although it is too early to see how this situation is going to shape up, and details have not been provided, what I can gather from the information distributed so far in news items is that what would be affected is the _recording_ of streamed whatever, not simply listening or watching. But I do know that, if they impose limits upon recording such streams, this will probably serve to shut down this activity entirely.

I suspect that a Big Fight is ahead, with all sorts of organizations jumping into the fray to present these people from effectively restricting certain types of legitimate internet activity by pricing it out of existence. So this probably means that, if they go ahead with this enterprise, and if customers do not shut them off at the pass, this whole matter will probably end up in the courts. I do not trust any of these people. They have tried similar things in the past, always with some attempted rationalization of their approach. I took a long time to knock AOL off its perch and it my take quite a while to put this outfit that now calls itself "AT&T" (it is really the old SBC, which still stinks to high heaven) in its place.

As of yet, I have not heard anything mentioned about Cox cable, but I suspect that moving this enterprise forward is going to depend upon signing up all of the important internet service providers in order to prevent any one of them from hanging back and waiting up to scoop up the loose change in the wake of the debacle.

Jeff Lenney
07-05-2008, 12:07 AM
I can not see this happening...with sites like youtube and myspace (mp3's and videos) being at the TOP of the most popular websites in the WORLD...you can practically guarantee you'll have company's worth BILLIONS trying to prevent this...it might be a big fight, but I can not see it happening personally... (I sure hope i'm right)

geekymamaw
10-10-2008, 10:06 AM
I just got an email from my ISP Comcast notifying all their customers of their new bandwidth cap fo 250 G and their new "congestion management technique". Here is a clipped sentence from the FAQ on their new technique of "congestion management"

"Assuming that is the case, customers’ accounts must exceed a certain percentage of their upstream or downstream (both currently set at 70%) bandwidth for longer than a certain period of time, currently set at fifteen minutes." Here is a link to the complete article. http://www.comcast.net/terms/network/

What does that mean exactly and how will it affect my recording with my At Large recorder for my TV shows and shows from Hulu? Will it slow down after 15minutes?

I like to record these shows and put them in my IPOD to watch later when I have the time and especially when I am in places with lousy wifi or no wifi.

lilygotsilly
10-02-2009, 04:01 PM
HaHa. The whole streaming is bs anyway. I hope they shut it down. Just find cheap bootlegs! Much easier. Good quality too. you guys will all be runnng around like mice! LOL