PDA

View Full Version : Capture slows vido & audio - unusable

6rtury
04-17-2009, 04:35 PM
I cannot use Capture at all -- on either a DVD movie or on streaming video. Just loading the program makes the video and audio slow and jerky, and this is what's recorded. I've tried all combos of setting for both audio and video, played with my video card acceleration. The setup tests went fine, and I have no problem using WM Recorder. Any suggestions?

XP Pro, SP3, 4GB memory, NVidia GeForce 7900GS, V. 178.24, RealTek audio.

Thanks in advance.

Jeff Lenney
04-18-2009, 12:31 PM
To get the best quality video with Replay Video Capture - try the following:

1. Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.

2. Try recording from a smaller video window by resizing your player to 1/4 of your screen, or no more than 480x640 pixels. This won't affect the video quality (since video is scaled UP from smaller sizes to fit a full-screen picture). This will require less computer power to capture, which will make for smoother videos.

Let me know if this makes a difference.

6rtury
04-18-2009, 03:54 PM
Jeff:

The Recommended settings, per the progrm, are Windows Media Player format, and a video rate of 3000. I changed it to MPEG2, set the viewing window small, and in turn tried all video rates. Nothing worked. Am still getting slow-motion, jerky display and audio from my monitor and in the captured recording. If I close out Capture the audio and video return to normal. Also, with Capture loaded, and I go to select the window, my cursor leaves a trail of small boxes as I move it.

It seems to me that Capture is interfering with both my video and audio drivers. Are there any system settings that may fix this? I've tinkered with the video acceleration and it had no effect.

This is a dual core system, with plenty of memory, and WMRecorder has no problems recording streaming video.

Cheryl Wester
04-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Upgrade your sound card and see if there are any updates to your video card. See if that helps.

6rtury
04-20-2009, 01:29 PM
Cheryl:

I just updated the video driver to it's latest version, 182.50, and it made no difference.

For the audio card, did you mean update the software or upgrade (as in purchase a new model)? I don't intend to purchase a new card for this one application, but have downloaded a more recent driver. I'll install it tonight after the close of business and let you know.

Thanks.

6rtury
04-21-2009, 05:33 PM
Cheryl:

It's taken me two nights to get things straightened out, but in the end, the update of my Realtek HD Audio driver did the trick. WMCapture now works properly. The steps were not in a straight line.

When I first updated the driver, I lost all sound from my card. Rolled back the driver and still had not sound. Uninstalled WMCapture and another audio-related program I had recently installed, SoundTaxi. Then reinstalled the new audio driver, and got no sound from the system. When I investigated the driver settings I discovered the default setting was to turn off all wav, mpeg, and other sound formats and put in only Dolby. Don't ask me why it checks that as a default. I reversed those settings and all was well. I then reinstalled WMCapture, tried it with some videos, and found it worked perfectly. When I next reinstalled SoundTaxi it clashed severely with my new audio driver and wouldn't even complete the installation. I got rid of it immediately, and everything is working fine. Not sure if the original culprit was my old audio driver or the clash of SoundTaxi with the audio, but at least Capture is working.

Thanks for your help.

Jeff Lenney
04-21-2009, 06:42 PM
Wonderful, i'm glad that update did the trick for you!

You'd be surprised how many issues simply doing that fixes!

Thanks again for the follow up, and happy recording! :-)

vforv
05-06-2009, 11:12 AM
After checking out the above nightmare "solution," (all things I've tried with no success) I would much rather put the ball in Applian's court. Your cheerleading a panicky costumer is not problem solving in my opinion.

With a new camcorder and software, sure their player might conflict in someway, but I'm not returning the camera and removing the software. After all, who knows if that why the system video play is slowing down. Most of the time, the player is built in and can't be sized or already microscopic.

This is a software problem for Replay Video Capture. Solve the problem so the program doesn't make the video unusable. Hell, Nero 9 could be the problem, my new digital cameras downloader or multiformat player...

If there are other capture sellers who's product doesn't make users jump through hoops, they've got a buyer. I love your stuff, but I object to the idea that I should be afraid to install new software.

Cheryl Wester
05-06-2009, 03:14 PM
When we are aware of a conflict our developers work on resolving as much as they can when it can be done. The forum is read by the developers. Thanks.

DADEO
05-16-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm afraid I am going to have to agree with vforv. This program is operating terribly with every video I have tried. It doesn't matter if the video is right from a website or something I have already recorded on my hard drive. I can have a recording or video from a website playing perfectly and as soon as I open this program and hit record, the video goes choppy, close the program and the video plays fine.

Quote from vforv:
"Most of the time, the player is built in and can't be sized or already microscopic".
You are correct sir.

Should not this program work properly regardless if the setting is Windows Media or MPEG-2. Are the choices of the 2 settings there for the user to decide what format they want to record in?

I have the Replay AV 8 program that works fine. Could there be a conlict between the 2 programs? This program is supposed to capture video that Replay AV 8 does not. It does but...

Any update versions in the works?

Cheryl Wester
05-17-2009, 11:32 PM
Video Capture is a screen capture and not a stream capture program. It uses a lot of resources and each system handles it differently. I capture normally with MPEG 2 as it seems to have a smaller file size. If I don't like the way it looks then I try the other. I try and capture with the screen setting as small as possible. We are always working on improving our programs and when the developer has an update we will post it.

cliffdropover1
05-19-2009, 05:48 AM
I tried an upgrade on my PC and increased the memory to 2 gig. Nothing changed. Then I tried your software on a completely new computer with lotsa speed and memory and no other software in that computer to cause a conflict. The recording from HuLu was again choppy. The recording becomes choppy when "record" is turned on and returns to normal when "record" is turned off. I think this shows that your software is the problem. The upgrade needs to address this issue as does the developer. I will keep your program and wait for the upgrade to solve this problem.

Cheryl Wester
05-19-2009, 08:36 AM
Thanks for the update. It is difficult to troubleshoot when not able to duplicate the issue. I have tried it on several different computers and I'm not having this issue. The developer is always working on improving the programs so perhaps your issue will be corrected in a future update. Thanks.

cliffdropover1
05-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I tried it on several different computers and DID have this issue. You act like the problem doesn't exist even after many customers are having this problem. It is time to admit there is a problem and fix it.

azigma
08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
I concur with the comments about taking this seriously, I am a trial member who encountered the same "jerky" problem no matter what setting or format I used.
To reply that "you couldn't replicate the problem" smacks of "smarten up guys, you're doing something wrong"
It may not be intended that way, but that's not an answer that's going to pacify a customer who has tried to solve the problem and is looking for meaningful assistance.
Might I point you back to your demonstration video where the same effect is clearly shown, but fobbed of with aside about 'heavy video load'

Jeff Lenney
08-06-2009, 10:26 PM
Good evening Folks

I've read through these posts a few times and want to let you know that we ARE aware of the issues. I will look into this further and see what I can find out from the programming team.

Thanks all for your continued patience

Jeff Lenney
08-09-2009, 01:13 PM
Good afternoon All,

Having spoken at length with the developer of Replay Video Capture & WM Capture, as well as other programmers, here is the salient facts and feedback:

As a screen capture program, Replay Video Capture will use a lot of your computer’s bandwidth – this is the nature of the beast. For the best possible screen recording, we HIGHLY recommend you get a dual core computer.

As of now, we are using the fastest compression currently available; MPEG-2. It works great on all dual core computers that we’ve tested. This includes my personal XP and Vista PC’s, along with our programmers 10+ personal (dual core) computers and many others we have tested along the way; especially other customers who use a dual core computer. In fact, most customer inquiries I receive with complaints of slowness and performance issues, reveal that the user has a single core processor on their pc. There is nothing wrong with single core processors, but they’re out of date now, and most new software demands a lot more than they’re able to offer.

A basic fact is that one can never reproduce EXACTLY the same video quality as the original with a screen capture program such as Replay Video Capture. Keep in mind, a screen capture program is really designed for videos or screen recordings that you're not able to record with a stream capture recorder (such as Replay Media Catcher, Replay AV, WM Recorder Etc).

If you've got a dual core processor, and are still having problems, I recommend adjusting the settings and screen recording size. ( See hints below ).

If you've got a single core process, your best bet would be to upgrade your computer to a dual core processor for the best screen capture results.

I'll re-cap on some things you can try, in case you missed this on page one of this post:

To get the best quality video with Replay Video Capture - try the following:

1. Go to Settings, and make sure you are using the MPEG-2 video format. Also, you may want to click on "Recommended Settings" at the top and select the most fitting option according to your pc configuration.

2. Try recording from a smaller video window by resizing your player to 1/4 of your screen, or no more than 480x640 pixels. This won't affect the video quality (since video is scaled UP from smaller sizes to fit a full-screen picture). This will require less computer power to capture, which will make for smoother videos.

I'll keep you all abreast of any updates/news - but for now this is what we're able to offer.

Thanks so much for your patience and understanding, It’s truly appreciated and I will keep you up-to-date on anything that may improve things.