PDA

View Full Version : work for a freelance web designer: I need an advice

Slardhora
04-03-2009, 08:08 AM
Hello!
I'm new here. I've been browsing tons of forums for an idea of what to do. I was laid off from my job about 3 month ago. I've been looking for a job since then, but did not even get a single interview. I worked as a web designer for a publishing company for the last 5 years. Looks like forum.applian.com is an active forum with active members and may be someone has some experience working as a freelance web designer. May be "Replay A/V" category is not the most appropriate for this question, but I want to try anyways to get some opinions before I go ahead with my life. I'm wondering if it is possible in the current economy to find work for a freelance web designer and make enough to pay for rent and groceries. I was able to find a small project on craigslist and I developed a website for a company. It was a small project and took me only a week to complete. I got paid $800 for 1 week of work which is not bad. Please people give me some ideas. I have 2 kids and my wife is out of work as well. Thank you in advance.

User927
01-27-2010, 12:46 PM
The best advice I have having been laid off before is find something immediately. I waited for months for the perfect job and ended up working at a Hastings because we were approaching eviction. Especially with a wife and two kids it's time to go to a temp agency, day labor or do construction. I work in lab research in academia and it took 9 months to get back into a lab. Don't wait around anymore, even part time is better than nothing.

That's just advice though. Hopefully you've had better luck since April but maybe this will help someone else in the future avoid the mistake I made of waiting for a job in my field for months.

carlobee
01-27-2010, 11:52 PM
what you did was good. finding freelance jobs on Craigslist or bestjobs.

However, there was this interesting thought i got off the internet regarding feelance jobs. Being a freelancer is a full-time job. Sounds ironic right? But yeah, once you become a freelancer, it becomes your life. you collect jobs, get paid for it.. that will become a cycle eventually. or you are lucky if you get one that is full time.

My question is, how are you doing now by the way? it's been almost a year since this was posted. YOu probably got a good job already? :)

http://storeyourpicture.com/images/signature_videoStreaming.jpg