PDA

View Full Version : Media Guide redirection server down?

craig78681
05-06-2008, 02:22 PM
I submitted a ticket this morning to report that the Applian server that handles redirected URLs for the Media Guide does not seem to be working. This means that I cannot record audio streams for URLs that must be translated via the Applian server database (as opposed to connecting directly to the audio source).

Any status on this problem? (Sorry, the ticket number is on my system at home.)

craig78681
05-06-2008, 04:11 PM
It's ticket 110C39

emacee1701
05-10-2008, 05:56 AM
I don't know if this part of the same problem but this morning Media Guide is only showing the icons and a bit of intro text - no links or information.

craig78681
05-10-2008, 06:50 AM
I'm not having that problem with the Media Guide, but the problem I'm having with a couple of stations is some new technology that protects a station's stream from being used by anything other than it's own player.

Here is the current text of a trouble ticket I opened:

Tom Mayes
Staff Subject: Re: KRLA address no longer works

Not yet. Those 2 stations seem to have protected their direct URL using that Stream Protection technology. The developer is looking into a solution but who knows if if we will come up with one. It may behoove you and any other listeners to the stream to contact the station to let them know that they will lose a customer if you are not able to access their stream by recording it. The station makes its money on advertising. So, it shouldn't matter if you listen live from their site itself or record it and listen when you want to.
Date: 09 May 2008 15:56
-------
CraigW
Subject: Re: KRLA address no longer works

Yes, I've been using your updated KRLA entry.

Do you have a solution for KLBJ 590 and KLIF 570?

Date: 09 May 2008 15:49
-------
Tom Mayes

Hi Craig,

I updated KRLA with a new URL as of Wednesday. As of a test recording right now, the URL that we have in the database seems to be still working fine. So, Add KRLA from the Media Guide. Hopefully, this station will not add the Stream Protection like other Stream Audio stations.

Tom.

Date: 09 May 2008 15:47
-------
Cheryl Wester

Hi

Thanks for the above information. I will send this to the media guide department to take a look at.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Wester
Applian Technologies, Inc.

Date: 09 May 2008 09:00
-------
Craig W

Maybe StreamAudio's "SA Stream Protection" feature is what is causing the problems with connecting to KLBJ 590 and KLIF 570.

http://www.streamaudio.com/site/StreamProtection.aspx

Date: 09 May 2008 08:48
-------
Cheryl Wester

Hi

We are working on this. Please give us a couple of days and then delete the show from your AV. Now add it again. If it is not working by Friday at the end of the day let us know.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Wester

Date: 07 May 2008 06:36
-------
Craig W

This morning Replay A/V is only able to record 21 seconds of the stream from KRLA before the connection is lost and the whole process starts over again. Yesterday it would not connect at all.

Date: 07 May 2008 03:19
-------
Cheryl Wester

Hi

Thanks. I am passing the additional stations on also.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Wester

Date: 06 May 2008 23:55
-------
Craig W

Ok, the stations I have had trouble with today are KRLA 870, KLIF 570 and KLBJ 590 (all AM).

Date: 06 May 2008 18:34
-------
Cheryl Wester

Hi

There are a few stations that belong to the same company. If they change the URL for one of them they often change the URL for the other ones also. I have let the Media Guide Department know. Give them a few days and then delete and add the show again. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Cheryl Wester

Date: 06 May 2008 17:50
-------
Craig W

Apparently the problem is with an Applian server. Another show I record each morning via a Media Guide URL failed to work as well.

Date: 06 May 2008 05:03
-------
Craig W
Subject: KRLA address no longer works

The URL for KRLA 870 in the Media Guide no longer works. I cannot tune to the station from Replay A/V but I can listen to the live stream if I go to their web site. It worked about 24 hours ago, so this is a pretty recent change.

Date: 06 May 2008 04:16

emacee1701
05-10-2008, 08:34 AM
The Media Guide is back up. It's been on and off a couple of times this morning. Since you use the links from Media Guide (redirected to the actual URL) to record streams, it seems the problems might be related.

You might want to use URL Finder to get the actual address for the stream and paste that into your Show - Properties - Basic URL box. Doing this has gotten me around almost all of the little traps set up to force you to go to their website and use their web "player." Sometimes URL Finder comes up with more than one audio stream URL, so you may have to do a little trial and error to get the program stream (rather than the stream for the upfront ad).

craig78681
05-10-2008, 01:22 PM
You might want to use URL Finder to get the actual address for the stream and paste that into your Show - Properties - Basic URL box. Doing this has gotten me around almost all of the little traps set up to force you to go to their website and use their web "player."

Did you read the description at the streamaudio.com link above? I think this is a new wrinkle and that the URL that actually connects to the streaming audio has to have some kind of identifying value in it that is negotiated at the time the connection is made. So, for stations using this technology, simply capturing a static URL with URL Finder is not going to be good enough.

craig78681
05-11-2008, 10:45 AM
Well, the Applian team comes through once again. KLBJ 590 and KLIF 570 are working from the media guide now. Thanks!

Cheryl Wester
05-12-2008, 06:08 AM
Hi

Thanks for letting us know that you are again able to record. We work hard on updating our streams and rely on our customers to let us know when something is down that we might not be aware of.