PDA

View Full Version : Can't record 720p HD on CBS as of 3/12/09

HomeVideoGuy
03-13-2009, 06:39 AM
I was able to record HD on 3/10/09 but now I can only record the 480p HQ videos. It looks like their filename has changed. Perhaps they changed something? Here is a link to the video I tried:

http://www.cbs.com/hd/video.php?cid=&pid=YZNphdcB7fZhRhuQRlMlayqvUC0g_e9o&play=true&offset=0&show=gary_unmarried

jhb50
03-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Since both these files are RTMPE now, you will be unable to download either of them. Right Click/Properties to see the type of file

HomeVideoGuy
03-16-2009, 06:23 AM
Sorry, but can anyone else confirm this? Applian?

As posted in this thread:

https://forum.applian.com/showthread.php?t=1658

Updating RMC to v3.02 started recording on CBS.com again. I just tested and I can still record 480p but they seem to have changed the file format for 720p. I could understand they may be using RTMPE now but when I right click I don't get properties to select.

jhb50
03-16-2009, 08:59 PM
It seems that the encoding on CBS varies with the show and even episode CBS offers some full shows/videos in 700kbps RTMP 640x360 - These also have an RTMPE stream which no tool can capture so who knows what its resolution is. Other shows have both streams in RTMPE. It also offers HD clips in RTMP HQ 848x480 and HD 1280x720. Right click/Properties or double chick on any RMC line to see the streams properties. RTMPE shows will show "RTMPE Protocol detected -- Sorry, these RTMP connections are not allowed to be analyzed."

HomeVideoGuy
03-17-2009, 06:41 AM
Ahh...I think I see what you are describing now. Properties in RMC. It is weird. I can still rip one show but only the HQ version of another. I guess they are in transition and all will be protected soon.

MatthewC1000
03-17-2009, 08:45 AM
It seems that the encoding on CBS varies with the show and even episode CBS offers some full shows/videos in 700kbps RTMP 640x360 - These also have an RTMPE stream which no tool can capture so who knows what its resolution is. Other shows have both streams in RTMPE. It also offers HD clips in RTMP HQ 848x480 and HD 1280x720. Right click/Properties or double chick on any RMC line to see the streams properties. RTMPE shows will show "RTMPE Protocol detected -- Sorry, these RTMP connections are not allowed to be analyzed."

Ahh...I think I see what you are describing now. Properties in RMC. It is weird. I can still rip one show but only the HQ version of another. I guess they are in transition and all will be protected soon.

Gentlemen, Use Replay Video capture...;)

Best Regards.

:)

HomeVideoGuy
03-17-2009, 09:02 AM
Gentlemen, Use Replay Video capture...;)

Best Regards.

:)

I downloaded the demo of RVC and:

1.) It would not detect an audio card in my PC
2.) This is my PC at work and I used to rip while working. I can't leave the window on top and dedicate the PC to my recording.
3.) Keep reading of problems in the RVC forum

So, since just about everything I am ripping is available thru iTunes/Amazon or will be released on DVD, I am just going to buy the shows themselves rather than keep spending money on hardware/software only to have them keep stopping me from recording these shows. It's not like I don't buy most of this stuff anyway and I just won't watch as many shows or be exposed to as much advertising as I used to.:)

HomeVideoGuy
03-17-2009, 09:06 AM
PS. No offence. Like I mentioned in that other thread, upgrading from v3.01 to v3.02 started ripping everything on CBS.com again; as reported by another poster. I thought it may have been something else Applian could address. i am not surprised/dissappointed that it is the RMTPE issue.

jhb50
03-17-2009, 03:54 PM
It is incorrect to suggest that RVC is a replacement for RMC.

RMC would download a video independently from my bandwidth capability and my other PC activity, then allow me to watch it at my convenience, (offline on an airplane if desired). There was no need to have enough bandwidth to stream the video in real time and so my 750Kbps line was fine.

RVC requires you to watch the video on the screen from where it is captured which prevents any other PC activity, and on a slow speed connection like mine is subject to many freezes as the video loads, all of which are captured making the video unwatchable.

It is amazing in this technology era that these videos are not provided on a record/play once basis. Adobe could easily provide an RTMPE capture facility and an Adobe RTMPE play once player.

flvrec0r3r
03-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Record/play once is pretty much downloading a file with Digital Rights Management. Like Amazon on Demand. But record/play once won't provide the functionality you require. When offline (on an airplane, on a bus, in a stretch limo) the end user isn't able to contact a DRM server and thus can't be authenticated and authorized to view the content. So it seems like we are expected going forward to be tethered to the Interet to view media.

I was initially of the same opinion as you regarding RVC as a RMC alternative, but my opinion is changing.

Some combinations of browser windows with no controls (usually recognized as an annoying "pop-up ad") or the actual "pop-out" button seen on some flash players can be dragged to the side, forced to be the top-most window, and normal work can sometimes continue while recording without trouble.

It takes a litle while for all recently used programs' windows to remember their last used size and position and thereby stay out of the way when next launched.

The Flash windows' size parameters can sometimes be forced in a URL. Stickam for example can be sized via the URL to crop out the chat portion. Opera allows user provided JavaScript to customize HTML content as another option.

I suggest giving a screen recorder a more thorough test drive. Until RTMPx and Flash is tossed to the ash heap of the Internet, Video Capture may be a necessary alternative to have in the toolbox. I expect sites like Hulu will soon become subscription based. You'll need to sign-up, log in, and like Sirius or Premium Cable, need to prove viewership or subscribership before viewing content.

IMHO as suggestions, RVC needs to allow longer recordings during the trial and provide a one-way trip to the end user's desired recording format --- straight to iPod or Zune or AVC/H.264/Matroska format for example. PC's do need next-gen horsepower for the latter suggestion. But that has always been the way in computing. Write demanding software and the hardware will soon catch up. As to a longer trial, it really does take quite a few days in a row of recording before I got the right quality vs. speed settings and learned which programs were going to jump in my way. It'd never have happened at two minutes a shot.