PDA

View Full Version : Genpuid.exe/firewall issue

Mutley
12-26-2008, 08:49 AM
I have had Replay Music for several years and I started having a problem when I upgraded to version 3.5. The songs are not getting tagged because Genpuid.EXE keeps asking Zonealarm for permission. I gave it permanent permission to access the internet, but it continues to ask.

I looked at the list of programs in Zonealarm and it had several different listings for Genpuid.exe, all with a different number in the program location.

C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\2392_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE
C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\576_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE
C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\2216_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE

It's not really a Zonealarm problem. It has the permissions correctly set for the first program listed, but that one never asks again. It is always a different number so it will always ask.

Cheryl Wester
12-27-2008, 11:02 AM
Thank you for this information. I will let the developer know about this and perhaps in a future update.

Sunman1
01-31-2009, 02:46 PM
Since upgrading to 3.50 my firewall blocks the tagging process leaving all the songs as "Not Recognized-Trackx.mp3". Makes your software pretty much useless. If I turn the firewall off it works but extremely slow and leaves my system vulnerable

Cheryl Wester
02-02-2009, 05:55 PM
Make sure you are allowing the program and genpuid.exe in the firewall. Also, run the program as an administrator and that should correct the tagging issue. If you still have a problem let us know in tech support as we will need your log file and additional information.

auldguy
03-05-2009, 09:51 PM
The issue is exactly as Mutley describes it. Running the program as an administrator or adding genpuid.exe will not solve the issue. When you add a program in Zone Alarm, you point to program in the folder where the program exists. As soon as you close Replay Music, the hidden folder and the program genpuid.exe that resides in it disappear. The next time you open Replay Music, a new hidden folder is created and ginpuid.exe is recreated in that new hidden folder. So when the genpuid.exe program tries to connect to the internet to obtain the tag for the file, it is in a totally new folder than the entry in Zone Alarm, so it doesn't recognize that you have already added the program to the safe list. Before I realized what was happening, I had 17 entries of genpuid.exe in my list of allowed programs in Zone Alarm...one for each new folder that had been created "on the fly".

Cheryl Wester
03-05-2009, 09:53 PM
I am going to pass this information on to the developer. Thanks.

auldguy
03-05-2009, 10:21 PM
As a helpful suggestion to users...and what I have determined that I will do...is whenever I will use Replay Music, I will start the program, wait for the new folder to be created, and add the genpuid.exe in the newly added folder to the allowed program list in Zone Alarm before I begin recording. This should prevent the problems we've been having until the developers get a chance to come up with a solution. Yes...it's a bit of a hassle...but so is manually tagging a bunch of files.

By the way...I absolutely love this program.

jss92
04-04-2009, 04:32 AM
I have had Replay Music for several years and I started having a problem when I upgraded to version 3.5. The songs are not getting tagged because Genpuid.EXE keeps asking Zonealarm for permission. I gave it permanent permission to access the internet, but it continues to ask.

I looked at the list of programs in Zonealarm and it had several different listings for Genpuid.exe, all with a different number in the program location.

C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\2392_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE
C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\576_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE
C:\Program files\Replay Music 3\2216_mdnslib\GENPUID.EXE

It's not really a Zonealarm problem. It has the permissions correctly set for the first program listed, but that one never asks again. It is always a different number so it will always ask.

I have the exact same issue while using RMC and ZoneAlarm - looking at my ZoneAlarm program control list I have multiple program 'allows' for GENPUID.EXE and the incremental folder ID it creates. Yes, it's easy to click and give the program access, but annoying just the same. Thanks!

AdrianM
04-05-2009, 03:22 AM
Back in December 2008,

Thank you for this information. I will let the developer know about this and perhaps in a future update.

Seeing as Zone Alarm is a highly popular free firewall, I would have anticipated a fairly swift solution - but now we're in April, there doesn't seem to be much hope left. I just bought Replay Music (3.56) and am now thinking of making use of the "money back" guarantee.

Does anyone know if this problem crops up with the other products in the Applian suite? All I want is something that records streaming audio.

Cheryl Wester
04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Our latest version, 3.56 should do the trick for you. If it doesn't let us know in tech support as we will need more information from you.

teambovine
05-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Our latest version, 3.56 should do the trick for you. If it doesn't let us know in tech support as we will need more information from you.

I have the same problem w/ version 3.5.6

treve
05-24-2009, 02:58 AM
I've got the exact same problem here with v3.56 and Zone Alarm, as originally described by Mutley.

Applian - what are you doing to solve this? It's not good enough to tell customers that it's fixed when it's clearly not.

BMason
05-26-2009, 03:53 AM
Cheryl:

I am a long-time user of RM and Zone Alarm firewall. I understand how both work. They always worked flawlessly together until recent RM versions. I just installed RM 3.60, and it still has the same problem described above making Zone Alarm think it's a new program each time it is used, and there fore asking for permission.

BMason
06-11-2009, 03:32 PM
Any resolution?

petekins
06-24-2009, 07:14 AM
Here's my "two-pennyworth" just bought RM 3.6, excellent software, apart from this annoying glitch with the repeat permissions needed in Zone Alarm.

To ADMIN/APPLIAN STAFF please sort this out, I have paid for this software, and I don't think its unreasonable to expect it to work faultlessly.;)
here's hoping:confused:
pete.

seancyril
06-24-2009, 07:46 AM
I have exactly the same problem and I am running version 3.6. This was one of my favourite programs and it worked like a dream with Gracenote . I have had problems with Genpuid.exe with Replay Media Catcher and Zone Alarm so knew I was in for trouble when I saw it pop up in Replay Music.Its a pain to keep having to give permissions to the same programme or else nothing gets tagged. I hope you manage to resolve this as the beauty of the program was the fact that you could just let it run and know that all that was taken care of.
Sean:(

Cheryl Wester
06-24-2009, 04:02 PM
The developer is aware of this issue and working on it. thanks for your patience.

iceshots
06-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Just upgraded to RM 3.6. Using Norton 360 as virus and firewall protection. The Genpuid.exe program shows up numerous times in the firewall list and Norton is handling it automatically.

The application is tagging some songs, but many more are not being tagged. The tag rate is much lower than when RM used Gracenote. It also seems to vary depending on the source of the tracks.

One strange thing. When I look into the RM log, for the exact same session, using the same source, RM sometimes tags the files, and other times it reports that the Genpuid process timed out or was cancelled. It then reports a possible firewall error. How can there be a "sometimes" firewall error within the same session?

PhilP
01-23-2012, 01:42 PM
I have the latest version (4.40 11-05-2011) and I am having the same trouble - no tags at all. I am running Microsoft Security Essentials and have instructed the Firewall to allow Replay through, but to no avail. Not sure how to tell it to allow genpuid.exe through.

Cheryl Wester
01-24-2012, 08:05 PM
With the latest version please use the audio driver. Check genpuid. It should work great for you. If you continue to have an issue please do contact tech support with details and a complete log file.