PDA

View Full Version : iPlayer no longer works?

y30man5
07-08-2015, 03:26 AM
I can no longer record iPlayer... Has anyone else had the same issues?

Have BBC changed the way they stream?

MikeL
07-09-2015, 05:06 AM
I tried it last night and was able to do it. I am running the latest version of RMC and this was the first time at trying it with iplayer.
I used the Auto Stream Downloader method. I'm running Windows 7 with Internet Explorer 11 (all latest patches applied).

I did notice some change in behaviour. In the home screen it did not display the expected name of the program being captured, instead it displays a name that is probably assigned to it by the streaming service. I can live with that as I usually rename captured files anyway. The other change I noticed was that I was asked to pick the quality of the file to be captured as multiple streams were detected, this is probably because I do not have a preferred download Quality box (in Settings | Internet Downloads) selected. The last time I captured from iplayer was before I installed the latest patch for RMC 6 and I was never prompted to select a quality for the download file so I don't know if the change is on the BBC end or in RMC 6.

The other settings I have for Internet downloads are :

Network Monitor to detect videos etc.
Monitor HTTP/SSL is OFF
No selection in Dial Up/VPN Connection
All other selections are 0 and/or Blank and/or OFF

I use StrongVPN for by VPN service.

Hope this helps
Mike

y30man5
07-13-2015, 02:36 AM
Thanks for the reply... I'm using RMC 5 still... I reset everything to default settings today and now it works.

y30man5
07-13-2015, 02:40 AM
I may have spoke too soon... it only worked with one programme and now it's stopped again.

myersph
07-13-2015, 10:22 AM
Are you managing to get programme name from BBC iplayer with RMC 6.0.0.79?

MikeL
07-14-2015, 08:41 AM
I am able to record with the change in behaviour noted above. The program name is not captured correctly. I don't use the library functionality of RMC so this isn't a big deal for me. I just rename the captured file to whatever I want it to be after the download has finished.

I don't know if this change is due to RMC or iplayer. It only started after the upgrade to 6.0.0.79 but it had been a while since I had used the previous version of RMC to capture from iplayer so it is possible that iplayer has changed something.

Can someone with a pre 6.0.0.79 version of RMC give it a try.

MikeL
07-21-2015, 09:38 AM
Did a little more digging on this. It appears that the BBC have made some significant changes to the way they stream videos with iPlayer - see article in link below for more details

http://www.bbc.co.uk/rd/blog/2015/07/the-development-of-new-video-factory-profiles-for-bbc-iplayer

However I am still able to capture videos with RMC 6 (latest version, have not tried with others). The only changes in behaviour being the pop up prompt to select the video quality I want to capture (as multiple are available now as explained in article) and the fact that the name of the captured video no longer reflects the actual program name

Cheryl Wester
07-21-2015, 03:52 PM
If you have a default that you like for your videos you are able to set that in the settings. You will then not be asked to make the selection.

macmcd
07-25-2015, 04:46 AM
I was able to download programmes using the download from the url in RMC 6 but it wouldn't always work first time. I would get an error "URL is not supported...." however by clicking on the download arrow a few times (normally no more than five) it would start downloading. In the last few days (probably since the 21st looking at the post above), I have not been able to download anything, just receive the "URL is not supported..." error.

Interestingly, I post the URL from the active tab in Firefox and try to download the file and RMC correctly displays the programme in the "Name" column but if I change to a different tab and leave the original iPlayer URL in RMC and click download, the programme name is now the name of the active tab. For example, I am trying to download http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tqyqx/not-going-out-series-7-7-surpris[CODE]e and when that is the active tab RMC correctly names the download as "BBC iPlayer - Not Going Out - Series 7 7 - Surprise". If I now change the active tab to this thread, leaving the iPlayer URL in RMC, and click download the programme name is displayed as "iPlayer no longer works". Using RMC 6 (6.0.0.79).

Any ideas,
Mac.

macmcd
07-25-2015, 06:44 AM
Not able to edit my previous message as it awaiting moderation. This also happens when changing tabs in Internet Explorer. Incidentally, I have had no problem downloading programmes using get_iplayer.

Mac.

Edit: Strange my previous message requires moderator attention but this one doesn't. In case the previous message is lost, in summary, I had been able to download iPlayer programmes using the paste URL method even if I had to click the download button a few times (never normally more than five times). The failed downloads had the "URL is not supported..." error.

Over the past few days I haven't been able to download anything (probably since the 21st having read the post above) as I just get the "URL is not supported..." message every time. I also noticed that even though the correct URL is in the text box, clicking the download arrow appears to link to the active browser tab.
For example, attempting to download http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04tqyqx/not-going-out-series-7-7-surprise, if the iPlayer window is the active tab then RMC displays the name of the attempted download as "BBC iPlayer - Not Going Out - Series 7 7- Surprise". If I leave the URL as is and change the active tab in Firefox to this topic and then click download the name of the attempted download is "iPlayer no longer works".

macmcd
07-27-2015, 10:36 AM
Hi,

I posted two messages to this topic on Saturday, the first required moderator approval for some reason but the second appeared in the topic. I edited the second message as it made little sense without the first but that caused it to vanish.

Any chance they can be moderated?

Thanks,
Mac.

Cheryl Wester
07-27-2015, 02:29 PM
I see all of your responses and I do not have anything to approve in my list

JJUK
07-30-2015, 03:23 AM
It appears that content delivered via iPlayer can no longer use Download but must instead be captured with Auto. Playing the stream does capture as Download did previously but the auto generated file name specific to content is lost. No VBR though so big files.

Any ideas?

macmcd
08-01-2015, 01:17 PM
Cheryl,

Sorry for the delay in replying. As I said, I submitted two messages last Saturday that appear to have got lost. The first was quite lengthy and when I submitted it I was informed that it required moderator approval (despite not containing anything controversial). I then submitted a second message with an addendum to the first and this posted successfully. However, without the original message it didn't really make sense and I then edited it to include a summary of the first message. When I submitted this second edited message, the original disappeared from the topic but was not replaced by the longer edited version. I assumed that, owing to the length, it too required moderator approval. Apparently not.

While using the supplied editor to write the messages I notice that the text did not word wrap and in composing this message I clicked on the "Switch Editor To WYSIWYG Mode", losing all the original text (this is the second draft). I wonder if this has anything to do with it.

Anyway the gist of my messages was that I too had been successfully downloading BBC iPlayer programmes by pasting the URL. It did sometimes take five or six attempts (actually clicking the download arrow) before it would work without an error. Now it doesn't work at all. Interestingly "get_iplayer" works first time, every time (I use the --pid option). Using the live streaming isn't an option to me as I have a slow broadband connection and whereas in the past it just waited until the stream had buffered now the stream uses adaptive bitrate giving lower quality.

Hopefully this makes it into the topic,
Mac.

Cheryl Wester
08-02-2015, 02:37 PM
Thanks, Mac. If you do continue to have an issue at this time I need you to go to tech support. I don't do it for Replay Media Catcher and do not want to give you the wrong information. Thanks.