PDA

View Full Version : RM Version 7 - a step backwards

geoffkc
12-02-2014, 12:14 PM
I realise that things need to be always improved. However RM7 seems to have gone backwards.

1 I have to restart RM7 once, twice or even three times to record a second album of music from Spotify after recording the first one. This never ever happened with previous versions and I loathe it.

2 Where has the RESET button gone?

3 Where is the "stop Recording after xxx seconds" command gone?

That'll do for now. There are more things I truly hate but if these three got fixed, I might not abandon Replay Music. If not... it's not looking good.

Thanks for listening

Geoff

wxman
12-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Totally agree, RM6 worked perfectly, I can't use RM7 because I will not disable Secureboot, but even when I used RM7 in the trial with the generic driver the interface was awful. I enjoyed all the previous RM versions until this one. Bad move.

Cheryl Wester
12-02-2014, 08:38 PM
I am sorry you feel that way. We spent a lot of time and effort developing our latest version and most people do enjoy the user interface and the extra options that it does offer. Technology has changed a lot and we had to
develop to go with this technology.

geoffkc
12-04-2014, 02:41 AM
Dear Cheryl

Firstly nice to see you still here and answering our sometimes-dumb questions!

However my points remain unanswered. I have to restart RM7 up to five times before it will record a second album in a session, and sometimes I have to restart Spotify too. This is driving me to despair. The other things are irritating but this is a killer. Has your developer any reason for this? I am recording Spotify in W7 32-bit.

All the new features in the world (which I do not need) I can walk round but you cannot just break something and say it is newer and better.

Geoff

johnnythepie
12-04-2014, 04:49 AM
I must say that having used RM7 now since its inception, I have found it to be a sideways move and not a backwards one! There have been a few improvements one of which is that RM7 has not crashed once, whereas 6 would crash on an almost daily basis which is a massive bonus for me. However the track tagging both automatic and manual is awful...worse than 6. Ranging from the incorrect title, to having track and artist in the track field only. Manual tagging does not always apply itself either! And I cannot for the life of me find how to tag a various artists album all at once with the album title!! .I have to revert to using a seperate tagging program (dont laugh....musicmatch (awesome) ). But Ill put up with its difficulties because it doesnt crash, its SO good value and the support is incredible. Oh by the way, is anyone else getting a message box on startup stating it cant connect to the registration server?

wxman
12-06-2014, 09:02 AM
Not to beat a dead horse but RM6 worked perfectly for me, and having followed these message boards for years it seems most were pleased with the product. I do not personally like the new interface but I suppose that's a matter of taste. The killer is having to disable a core security feature to make the new program work. Granted, many will have no trouble, but the reason for the security feature is to prevent a small risk of a big problem. Unless the new program is spectacularly better than the old, and I do not see anyone saying that, you need to keep the old program or at least offer a way for existing users to get the same functionality as the old without having to turn off security features. It's disappointing that you have not at least done the latter. Perhaps you need a new, NEW developer.

cap3344
12-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Cheryl, you've always been a big help when I've had a problem (user since 2009), but I agree RM7 may be prettier, but its just not as easy to work with. I'm just now rolling back to RM6 after two failed attempts at recording off Rhapsody a Kristin Chenoweth "CD" for my wife. RM7 is splitting tracks all over the place mid song. I made one adjustment for splitting already - doubling the silence check - no help. I'm going to see how RM6 manages and I'll report back.

Besides this, the whole aspect of dealing with "fixing things" - happens from time to time, is much more complicated under RM7 - and so far, there's more to fix. The whole process of naming tracks, albums, files is way over the top - at least a default that made RM7 act like RM6 - leave my folder and files on output just like RM6 - why do you make me hunt and peck to get back to what I had before - I spent a couple of hours working thru this.

Sometimes more features just clog up the user experience. Sounds like from the forum I am not alone. As long as RM6 performs adequately I'm reluctant to change and I'd be really concerned about paying for another upgrade.

I do have the suite and use Replay Radio, Video Capture on a regular basis, each works a little differently, but are much simpler if you stick to the basics. RM7 should have a Basic mode and then put all the extras in "Advanced" for those that like to tinker.

Thanks for reading the rant! :(

Can now report that RM6 captured the same CD without fault, 15 tracks over an hour of content... Give us back our RM6!!!

cap3344
12-09-2014, 08:45 PM
I didn't have to go down the "turn off security" road yet, but as a info security professional, that really irks me when I'm told to turn off security features to get commercial software to work. This is akin to jailbreaking a cell phone. If the developer can't use authorized windows API's then its a hack, and that's not something commercial software should be promoting.

semicolon1
12-23-2014, 03:44 PM
I, too, on first blush think RM7 is a step backwards--much less obvious/intuitive.

Wondering, specifically, how to have RM automatically create a folder based on the artist name; even better if it would find the same artist and create a sub-folder for each album. Arggh.

Cheryl Wester
12-23-2014, 07:58 PM
The program uses brackets {} to label and"\" to make a new folder. As an example I have mine set up with: {artist}\{album}\{trackno}-{artist}-{title}-{album}
This is in settings under naming rules. So I have a folder for the Artist-in that I have a folder for the Album and then the other information.

sigma196
01-13-2015, 08:51 PM
Well taking out the duration function is a killer. I have also "progressed" to version 6. Please turn off the upgrade notice. I have upgraded, I just don't use software that is a step backwards.

Cheryl Wester
01-14-2015, 06:57 AM
Most people are preferring the added features in Replay Music 7. My favorite is not having to worry about other sounds when using the program being picked up. Also, it has some extra ways to store in folders and, in my opinion, tags faster. We do have a list of items that our customers would like to see added.

Scubasa1
02-16-2015, 04:09 AM
Hi Cheryl,
Will we be seeing an update to 7.0.0.30 soon?
The most needed fix is to be able to record albums consecutively from Spotify. After recording an album, you have to restart Spotify in order for RM7 to pick it up for a second album recording. I agree RM 7 is getting better all of the time and I am in communication regularly with Jeff suggesting new features or things that would help, like having an up and down arrow feature to move tracks up and down in the track order, to have a slider on/off to say just to give tracks an automated number starting at 1,2,3,4,5 instead of 0,0,0,0,0, etc. as I know the Spotify tracks are already in order, so the tracks are not tagged as 0, it would save a lot of editing work.
Also the same arrow system to say which order tracks could be combined, the dragging option is clumsy.
Just some ideas.
Cheers Steve

Cheryl Wester
02-16-2015, 07:22 PM
I have not been told when we are going to have the next update. The developer has been working on the latest version of Replay Media Catcher. Hopefully it will be out in the near future and offer many of the items that
people have been requesting.

Scubasa1
02-20-2015, 09:00 AM
Hi Cheryl,
Will we be seeing an update to 7.0.0.30 soon?
The most needed fix is to be able to record albums consecutively from Spotify. After recording an album, you have to restart Spotify in order for RM7 to pick it up for a second album recording. I agree RM 7 is getting better all of the time and I am in communication regularly with Jeff suggesting new features or things that would help, like having an up and down arrow feature to move tracks up and down in the track order, to have a slider on/off to say just to give tracks an automated number starting at 1,2,3,4,5 instead of 0,0,0,0,0, etc. as I know the Spotify tracks are already in order, so the tracks are not tagged as 0, it would save a lot of editing work.
Also the same arrow system to say which order tracks could be combined, the dragging option is clumsy.
Just some ideas.
Cheers Steve

Although I have found a way around the having to restart Spotify after recording an album. Once I've Imported to iTunes just remove (not delete) so that the files are removed from the track listing and then go to settings and change the override tags NOT stopping recording until all your albums have been recorded, but at least you can change the artist recording with a fresh record list, tagged with the new artist. To record another album, just repeat, stopping recording once all the albums have been recorded. If you stop recording between albums at the moment you'll have to restart Spotify for RM7 to recognise it again as the source.

This is way around it for now until Replay 7 is able to record again without restarting Spotify after a stop recording.

Thanks for all of you kind help Jeff and to the developer/s for all of their hard work.
Steve

Cheryl Wester
02-20-2015, 08:30 PM
We just updated Replay Music this evening. Be sure and download the latest version from our site.

johnnythepie
02-21-2015, 09:48 AM
Just downloaded and installed the new update.Unable to record on XP, states only vista and above supported.Great.Update removed.

Cheryl Wester
02-21-2015, 08:22 PM
Please do contact tech support on this. I have not had other reports of this issue-thanks.

Cheryl Wester
02-23-2015, 05:23 PM
We have been able to duplicate this issue. If you do have this problem with version .60 please contact tech support.

johnnythepie
04-12-2015, 11:29 AM
Just tried version 044 in case that was any better with XP, and it isnt.After every track recorded, it tags it with a number 1 at the end ie: The Ramones - Dont Come Close 1. It does this for every track.Am I missing something here or should I contact suppot as instructed re:version 60???!

Cheryl Wester
04-12-2015, 02:52 PM
Make sure you are using the latest version of Replay Music. If you continue to have an issue then do contact tech support with complete details. Thanks.

johnnythepie
07-29-2016, 01:12 PM
Hi Cheryl.
Have just dragged myself into the 20th century and upgraded to win 7 64bit, and upon re-installing replay 7, have noticed a)a green thumbs up icon in the top 'toolbar'that intimates processing streams, and b)little blue circles with a blue cross inside in front of the song title.What are these please as I cant see anything listed in the guide.I am also unable to install the latest version 70136 qoying 'error opening file for writing' C:program files(x86)\applian technologies\replay7\jrmp.exe and a multitude of files if i click 'ignore' such as jac.dll. Am i missing something? thanks

Cheryl Wester
07-29-2016, 09:44 PM
We have changed the latest version tonight due to an issue. Please do install what we now have on the site. Make sure that all other versions are closed and not open or in the taskbar when installing. If you do continue to have an issue do contact tech support with details. Thanks.