PDA

View Full Version : BBC to drop WMA format at the end of 2014

rjevansuk
11-12-2014, 04:56 AM
Hi,

The BBC have announced that they will stop using the WMA format at the end of the year

"we will support and which we will no longer support. BBC radio is currently delivered as SHOUTcast, HLS, RTMP, and windows media. Listen again audio is provided in AAC encoded mp4, mp3 and windows media.

We will provide a SHOUTcast mp3 stream of all our radio stations so that live radio will continue to work on internet radio devices for another year or two. This mp3 stream will be up and running before support for Windows Media is switched off.

Providing a replacement for listen again (ie not live radio) is a much more difficult problem. Without windows media, the only other way that these devices can receive an audio file is to download it in an unprotected format. This would contravene the BBC’s agreements with rights holders (record companies, publishers, writers etc.)"

Will there be any problems using Reply Radio 9 for on demand content?

Cheryl Wester
11-12-2014, 06:30 PM
Until we have an actual URL to test we are not sure. If you have one send it to us and we would be glad to test. Thanks.

alanell1
03-02-2015, 02:36 PM
I believe I may have accidentally found a solution (in part) to to the Listen Again element. I will therefore pass my "findings" on to Cheryl for onward forwarding tto the developer(s) for evaluation.

alanell1
03-02-2015, 02:42 PM
I may accidentally hae found a solution (in part) to the Listen Again element of this matter and will send a url to Cheryl with details of what I did so that these can be passed on to the developer(s) for validation (or otherwise!)