PDA

View Full Version : RM 7 -- No Windows Audio Driver?

wxman
10-19-2014, 09:20 AM
I do not want to disable secure boot (disabling is a bad idea in my opinion) and so I'm left with using the "what you hear option." In RM 6 there was the windows audio driver, which worked fine for me, but this option is not present in RM 7. Perhaps it's my imagination, but the "what you hear" option is a step down in quality. Why did you remove the windows audio driver option? Can you put it back in? (Using wind 8.1). Thanks.

Cheryl Wester
10-19-2014, 11:08 AM
This program is made differently and works differently. With using the application you are able to work on your computer and have other sounds without them being in the song. I have secure boot disabled for over a year
without an issue so you might want to give that a try. The other option of "what you hear" is what you would need to use if you don't wish to.

wxman
10-19-2014, 11:35 AM
Is there a reason you can't add back in the windows audio driver? I must tell you, the what you hear option is not good. I've been a big fan of your product for years, but this new version 7 is a big step back. Quite candidly, I can't see many people being too excited about having to change bios to make RM function satisfactorily...not to mention the blame you will take if some malware causes trouble (which is something secure boot helps prevent). I really think your engineers need to get back to the drawing board on this. Thanks.

Cheryl Wester
10-19-2014, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the feedback-it is appreciated. The new version was made by a different developer and we feel how it works is great as it records clearly without picking up other noises from your system. Thanks.

Scubasa1
10-23-2014, 12:08 PM
I use application with Spotify and it works perfect for me.
I used to use Audio Driver, not the Windows audio driver and this plugged directly into Spotify as does Application, so all's good.
Turn off system sounds if you want to use what I hear option. This was the case with Windows Audio wasn't it Cheryl?
Same just differently named I think?
SA

Cheryl Wester
10-23-2014, 07:32 PM
You are correct in regards to the win audio driver. Using application prevents it from picking up other sounds.

wxman
11-02-2014, 02:52 PM
Well, at least for Windows 8 and using RM 6, Audio Driver does not function for most applications so I need to use Windows Audio Driver. Cheryl, are you agreeing with Scubasa that Windows Audio Driver and what you hear are the same thing? If so, I will give RM 7 another try... but for my first go around what you hear sounded awful (Windows Audio Driver works perfectly with RM 6) and I'm not willing to disable secure boot. Thanks.

wxman
11-02-2014, 02:53 PM
Scubasa, asre you uisng win 8 and did you disable secure boot? thx

Scubasa1
11-15-2014, 04:20 AM
Hi WXMAN,
I am running Windows 8 but secure boot is unsupported on my PC, which means it isn't running.
Cheers

Cheryl Wester
11-15-2014, 08:33 AM
Do give what you hear (stereo mix) a try and see how it goes for you. Let us know. Thanks.

wxman
11-23-2014, 10:39 AM
"What you Hear" is not a good alternative. It is not the same as the Windows Audio Driver in RM 6, which functioned perfectly, at least for me. (For example, with What you hear the PC volume effects the recording level, this was not the case with WAD.) Quite candidly, I prefer RM 6 overall, the interface is cleaner and easier to use. Regardless,
can you please ask the developer to restore the Windows Audio Driver to RM 7 so that when the time comes that I need to upgrade it's available? Thanks.

Cheryl Wester
11-23-2014, 04:03 PM
The two versions were made by two different developers. We are finding that most people are very happy with the new version and the additional options that are included. The "Audio Driver" method in RM6 and "Application" recording mode in RM7 will produce recordings that are closer to the source material since the data is being pulled directly out of the running application. For audiophiles, these methods would be preferred. For most users, the difference might not be noticeable (especially since most streamed music is compressed anyhow). "What you Hear" and win audio driver are the most similar when the audio driver is not able to be used or when application
doesn't work for you.

wxman
11-27-2014, 08:04 AM
Thanks Cheryl, but as you know the windows audio driver is not an option in RM 7. The ONLY driver that works for me (since I'm not disabling secure boot) is "what you hear," and that is not good. As a longtime user, I would ask you to check if the windows audio driver can be added to RM7. Obviously, the perfect solution would be if you could get RM7 to work without disabling secure boot. Thanks.

Cheryl Wester
11-27-2014, 11:41 AM
All requests and suggestions are passed on. It is up to the developer. Thanks for the input. I might add that I have disabled secure boot since Windows 8 came out on all of my systems and have not had an issue. Nor have I had one reported to me from our customers.

wxman
12-02-2014, 06:40 PM
Thanks Cheryl, but I don't find comfort in the fact that you disabled secure boot with no problem. I know people who run PC's with no antivirus who also have had no problem, yet. Bottom line is you should not have to disable a security feature to run software. I truly cant believe you wont lose sales and longtime customers over this move, just my opinion of course.

borobutch
02-08-2015, 12:37 PM
In general I like V7, but there are a few things I don't. The main one is v7 doesn't record the tracks in wav form then convert them to format in settings, it appears to record them in what ever format you have set in settings. The problem with is that if I want the file format to be mp3 I have to turn my audio playback settings from 24bit 96khz down to 16bit 48khz.
With v6 I could leave my playback settings at 24bit 96khz, so the stream was recorded in high quality waves then converted to what I had in settings.

Cheryl Wester
02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Your feedback is appreciated. The developers do read the forums.