PDA

View Full Version : Podcasting improvements

GrantinatorPlus
03-31-2008, 07:06 PM
Hello,

I love Replay A/V and use it exclusively for my stream recording needs. I do not, however, use it as my podcast aggregator; I think a couple of changes need to be made as to how podcasts are handled in Replay A/V:

1) We need to be able to "download new episodes", rather than specifying a maximum number of shows to be downloaded. In other words, this would just download new enclosures, rather than looking for a specific number of enclosures at the top of the feed.

2) We need to be able to have a list of episodes for each feed, from which we could set individual ones to "download" or "skip".

Cheers,

Grant

petrogia
04-02-2008, 09:33 AM
Hello,

I love Replay A/V and use it exclusively for my stream recording needs. I do not, however, use it as my podcast aggregator; I think a couple of changes need to be made as to how podcasts are handled in Replay A/V:

1) We need to be able to "download new episodes", rather than specifying a maximum number of shows to be downloaded. In other words, this would just download new enclosures, rather than looking for a specific number of enclosures at the top of the feed.

2) We need to be able to have a list of episodes for each feed, from which we could set individual ones to "download" or "skip".

Cheers,

Grant

I agree. The above features are already in the Juice Receiver application and your improvements are very good ones.

emacee1701
05-10-2008, 08:23 AM
I agree. I currently use Replay AV to capture (or record) live audio streams. I've tried using it for podcasts but I've found it problematic (possibly due to flaws in the Media Guide): Sometimes new episodes are not downloaded.

It is a hassle to have set number of episodes to be downloaded manually and to set erasure options, as well. And it's inconvenient to have to View Shows to select episodes (Play Last Recording tries to play the jpg icon file), and to use Go to Guide to get episode information (and sometimes I get a blank pop-up instead of the info).

Episode info is important to me. It's why I don't use Juice and do use iTunes. I don't listen to each episode of a podcast: I like to pick and choose. Many of the podcasts to which I subscribe are public radio programs and I look for topics and stories which interest me.

And while I've got your attention: I notice that many of the "podcasts" listed in the Media Guide are not really podcasts but Radio Shows. These same shows do have RSS podcasts available. For public radio programs, Media Guide often uses KQED's audio stream (is somebody at Applian a fan of the station and trying to goose their hit count?). Sorry, but IMHO all podcast listings should be real RSS Podcasts.