PDA

View Full Version : RMC4 and 5 on Windows 8.1

GarrettMFA
06-26-2013, 10:10 PM
Up until today I was using RMC4 without any problems in Windows 8. I also have RMC5 but after about 15-20 captures it pooped out forcing me to go back to RMC4.

After upgrading to the Windows 8.1 Preview neither v4 or v5 will work. Both claim that a driver failed to load. In RMC4's case it was the appliand driver.

I realize that pre-release OS's come with risks so I'm not blaming Applian. I only want them to know what happened, at least to me. In the meantime I sit here captured neutered. :mad:

crs
06-27-2013, 08:43 AM
Hey -

If you upgraded your OS then you have lost the driver that was installed with RMC 4, which would also have been used by RMC 5.

Uninstall both 4 and 5 if they are currently installed and reboot.

Install RMC 5 and select WinpCap as the network monitor at the installation screen.

HTH

- CRS

GarrettMFA
06-27-2013, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the advise. I uninstalled both but the WinPCap driver uninstall did not work. After deleting WinPCap entries in the registry I installed the WinPcap_4_1_3.exe from Riverbed Technology. A new install of both RMC 4 & 5 got me 50% success. RMC4 again works like a charm, while RMC5 continues to just stand there oblivious to the streaming video. For now I'm happy to rely on RMC4 until Windows 8.1 gold is released or new updates to RMC5 fix the problem.

crs
06-27-2013, 12:28 PM
Hey -

What are your Settings > Internet > Monitor set to? RMC 5 can use either the the Network Monitor (Same driver as 4 uses) or WinPcap - select which one you want to use. With WinPcap you need to select the adapter you want monitored.

HTH

- CRS

GarrettMFA
06-27-2013, 01:12 PM
I tried both WinPcap and Network Monitor. Neither worked. Under WinPcap I tested both the default Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection and Microsoft.

crs
06-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Hey -

Windows 8.1 preview is working fine here under both winpcap and network monitor. Lodge a support ticket with your debug log files as this is your setup.

1. Set Settings > Internet > Monitor to WinPcap and select your network card that internet traffic is being sent over
2. Switch on Debug via Help > About > Support
3. Start monitoring for downloads
4. Go to youtube and try and download something
5. Get the debug log files Help > About > Support and click Email losg to support

Now do the above again but this time at 1 select network monitor.

Attach both logs to your support ticket and reference this post.

Thanks

- CRS

CharlieCook
10-22-2013, 08:30 AM
I am also having no luck with media catcher 5 (unfortunately deleted Media 4 as part of this thread). It starts up without the error message now, but doesn't start any recordings.
Replay Video Capture works ok, and media 5 converts those files, but a bit clunky.

russws
10-22-2013, 12:29 PM
Hello. I had the same problem, RMC 5 said the winpcap was missing, then when it tries to install winpcap, it says it was installed. A reboot made things worse, RMC 5 crashed on loading. I finally completely uninstalled RMC 5, INCLUDING checking the delete settings option. After reinstalling, it works fine for me.

CharlieCook
10-24-2013, 03:02 AM
Thanks for that. tried totally uninstalling and reinstall - still doesn't work.

russws
10-24-2013, 09:43 AM
Yeah, it is not working correctly for Youtube, just making a dozen small files. I'll be filing a support ticket.

Trailhound
10-25-2013, 04:47 AM
I'm not having much luck with v5 either since updating to Win8.1. It misses most of the streams -- just doesn't see them starting. It is worse using VPN connection.
I'll be looking forward to a solution as well.

johnash
10-25-2013, 01:42 PM
I've stuck wth Media Catcher 4.4.4 through thick and thin as it's what works for me.

So I was horrified after the epic of "upgrading" to Windows 8.1 (what WAS it doing for hours on end?) to find that Media Catcher no longer worked.

I reinstalled 4.4.4 (having very safely kept the installation file in a safe place). I rebooted. But still the required driver would not load.

So I took the above tip. Uninstalled it all. Rebooted. Reinstalled 4.4.4 and it worked. (I did not need to reboot after the install).

By the way, I'm finding Windows 8.1 take ages to boot compared to "good old" Windows 8.

The only annoyance is that I have lost the Media Player icon when it's pinned to the taskbar. I have unpinned and pinned it, but still no icon. I have also right clicked to change icon to the default. Again, to no effect.

Any ideas, please?

GarrettMFA
10-31-2013, 11:01 PM
I'm the one who started this thread back in June. Windows 8.1 64-bit now up and running properly and a fresh install on RMC5 still does not record anything. So it's back to good old reliable v4.4.5.0.

CharlieCook
11-01-2013, 02:47 AM
I have created an error log as requested above, but 'emial to support' only produces a file on my desktop - it doesn't mail it, or give an email address to mail it to. What is the email address?
Thanks

crs
11-20-2013, 12:04 AM
Hey -

Im all on 8.1 here with no issues and we have *,000's of users on 8.1. Winpcap and Applian Network Monitor should both work fine.

If your up for it lodge a support request and it will get to me and we can do some deeper diving into your particular windows 8 set-up and what might be causing issues and hopefully solve it.

HTH

- CRS

Arno
01-15-2014, 06:41 PM
Hey -

Im all on 8.1 here with no issues and we have *,000's of users on 8.1. Winpcap and Applian Network Monitor should both work fine.

HTH

- CRS

Well lucky you !! You must be the ONLY one though to have it working on win8.1 !!!
Since update from .19 to .24 its all over , RMC4 and RMC5 both dont work anymore !!!
I tried deleting, reinstalling, installing network monitor .. all ending up in one and the same result.. TOTALLY NOTHING !!!

captinnemo
01-23-2014, 02:12 PM
Well lucky you !! You must be the ONLY one though to have it working on win8.1 !!!
Since update from .19 to .24 its all over , RMC4 and RMC5 both dont work anymore !!!
I tried deleting, reinstalling, installing network monitor .. all ending up in one and the same result.. TOTALLY NOTHING !!!

+1 nothing working here with winpcap and network monitor causes streams to stop at random on win8.1

Jeff Lenney
01-23-2014, 11:21 PM
If you're having issues - please let our RMC know - I have windows 8.0 myself and do not have this issue.

Please use the technical support section of the website to submit your tech support ticket and include your record log file:

http://applian.com/support.php

wesmacc
08-28-2014, 06:37 PM
Sure you do, you just aren't a heavy user. Almost a year later, 8.1 now and it's worse.

Here's an out of school tale, I started with a 'not-bought' v4 and liked it so much I bought v5 Suite. Yep, the whole works. Use RMC and Convert, the rest not so much. I never look back because I would kick things if I did. The cracked v4 kicked ass. V5 is borderline useless.

So, the main problem is the gui updating... the main screen. The first selection is fine, the second is fine, the third is ok, the fourth window starts to get buggy but is ok, 5 and on takes many minutes before it notices the feed and then not always plus you lose a couple of the earlier ones. Feed detection non existent many times. Now I have dual boot and when I pop back to 7 it is not as bad but the lagging is there sometimes. it's an RMC5 problem, I too wish I had a 4 around.

A very similar problem [very? IDENTICAL!!!] exists in Firefox running under Windows 8.1 Scrolling is useless, actions are shaky and buggy, items instructed for the program to do are often ignored. Folks Windows 8.1 is NOT Windows 7 with the Android desktop borrowed, it is a completely different program and without a rewrite your software is not compatible, not even close.

Chrome flies on 8.1 My 50mb connection tested at 53/53/65 over three tests, kudos to Rogers for delivering more speed than promised. Bandwidth is not the issue, the system runs very quickly and smoothly on programs optimized for 8 On programs with just an 8.1 added to the file title is sometimes is good, sometimes is bad. A large amount of software companies are not updating in my opinion.

When it connects and sees the stream RMC is perfect. File goes where I want it, quality is what I see on the original screen, everything good. It's just the GUI thats bugged up and that seems to slow the whole thing down.

I wonder if my v5 serial works on a 4? lol