PDA

View Full Version : Problem Converting Real audio file

khiabani
03-27-2008, 11:40 AM
I am having an issue with converting real audio files. I have successfuly captured a BBC radio 3 show in Real audio format. It plays fine with the Real Player after capture. I would like to convert it to MP3 so that I can import it to my MP3 player. When I try converting the file, I get an MP3 file that is silent. The file goes through the conversion process and takes a few minutes to convert. The finla result is an MP3 file that is of correct size and is recognized by WMP on Vista and it starts playing. However, there is 90 minutes of silence.
Here are the things that I tried with no success:
1. Changed the Direct Show option in the convertor options for Real audio files. Tried it with and without Direct show.
2. Tried converting the file to MP3 at different bit rates
3. Tried converting to other file formats, ie, WMA and iPod audio book.
4. Tried the silent files on multiple computers. It was always silent.
5. Installed the Applian software to capture and convert the file on 2 different brand new Vista machines (one machine runs Vista Home premium, and the other runs Vista ultimate)

None of the above has solved the problem.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Mike Christensen
03-27-2008, 07:10 PM
I am having an issue with converting real audio files. I have successfuly captured a BBC radio 3 show in Real audio format. It plays fine with the Real Player after capture. I would like to convert it to MP3 so that I can import it to my MP3 player. When I try converting the file, I get an MP3 file that is silent. The file goes through the conversion process and takes a few minutes to convert. The finla result is an MP3 file that is of correct size and is recognized by WMP on Vista and it starts playing. However, there is 90 minutes of silence.
Here are the things that I tried with no success:
1. Changed the Direct Show option in the convertor options for Real audio files. Tried it with and without Direct show.
2. Tried converting the file to MP3 at different bit rates
3. Tried converting to other file formats, ie, WMA and iPod audio book.
4. Tried the silent files on multiple computers. It was always silent.
5. Installed the Applian software to capture and convert the file on 2 different brand new Vista machines (one machine runs Vista Home premium, and the other runs Vista ultimate)

None of the above has solved the problem.
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks.

What version of Real Player do you have? Replay Converter uses codecs from the different players that you have installed on your computer. We have found problems with some of the codecs in Real Player 11. If you have Real Player 11, try downgrading to Real Player 10, or you can just install the free program, Real Alternative, which you can get from here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/real_alternative.cfm
Personally, I feel Real Player is too bloated, so I use Real Alternative.

Once you have Real Player 10 or Real Alternative, then do the following for converting real audio files to MP3:
Click "Options" in Replay Converter -> "Audio Conversion Options" -> check the "Real (.ra)" check box for .ra files or check the "Other" check box for other Real files like .rm files -> click "OK" and then try a conversion.

petrogia
03-29-2008, 02:51 PM
What version of Real Player do you have? Replay Converter uses codecs from the different players that you have installed on your computer. We have found problems with some of the codecs in Real Player 11. If you have Real Player 11, try downgrading to Real Player 10, or you can just install the free program, Real Alternative, which you can get from here: http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/codecs_and_filters/real_alternative.cfm
Personally, I feel Real Player is too bloated, so I use Real Alternative.

Once you have Real Player 10 or Real Alternative, then do the following for converting real audio files to MP3:
Click "Options" in Replay Converter -> "Audio Conversion Options" -> check the "Real (.ra)" check box for .ra files or check the "Other" check box for other Real files like .rm files -> click "OK" and then try a conversion.

Mike
So you like Real Alternative player. Have you heard that there is a Real Player 10.5 specifically made for BBC in the UK. I have the info if you want it.

Mike Christensen
03-29-2008, 06:13 PM
Mike
So you like Real Alternative player. Have you heard that there is a Real Player 10.5 specifically made for BBC in the UK. I have the info if you want it.

Hi Petro,

I personally like Real Alternative, but Replay Converter will work with Real Player 10.5 as well. So, sure Petro, please share with us what you know about Real Player 10.5 and BBC for those who would rather use Real Player 10.5

Thanks!

petrogia
03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Hi Petro,

I personally like Real Alternative, but Replay Converter will work with Real Player 10.5 as well. So, sure Petro, please share with us what you know about Real Player 10.5 and BBC for those who would rather use Real Player 10.5

Thanks!

Here's the information on the little known Real Player 10.5 BBC version. Maybe you can test this version and let us know if it is any better than the bloted RP 10.5?

Don't Like RealPlayer? You've Got Options

By Steve Bass

Some folks say RealPlayer is loaded with ads. Here's how to play
its
media files without getting more than you want. ....

Read the complete column online:
http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,143700/article.html?tk=nl_sbxcol

* Related Links *

RealPlayer Gets Slapped with "Badware" Label
http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/006421.html?tk=nl_sbxblg

Jeff Lenney
04-03-2008, 06:54 PM
This is cool stuff, thanks for posting that! :-)

05-03-2008, 11:37 AM
I have been recording streamed Real files (usually .ra) for years, using Replay AV, converting to .mp3 for iTunes use. After recent upgrades from Replay AV7 to 8 and from RealPlayer 10.5 to 11, the incoming files are .rm, and either won't convert or convert empty/silent.

I've read the Forum posts and other comments, and have subsequently switched to Replay Converter 3.0 beta, reloaded K-Lite Mega codecs, and (to my irritation) gone back to RealPlayer 10.5. I don't want to use RealAlternative. The outcome is that a different converter (Jodix) will now handle the .rm to .mp3 conversions without difficulty, but Replay Converter still does nothing. Even when you toggle the DirectShow switches.

This means that the useful automation associated with Replay AV8 downloads to iTunes is gone, and the product (at least for my purposes) is largely valueless. Having just upgraded to Capture Suite, I'm concerned to get the problem sorted out.

For the record, the OS is XP Pro, on a Toshiba laptop, without any obvious system clashes. Ideally, I want to go back to RealPlayer 11 (I know it's fat), but more importantly I need Replay AV8 and Replay Converter to work on .rm to .mp3 conversions.

Thanks for the help.

Trevor Campbell Davis
London, England

petrogia
05-04-2008, 06:21 AM
I have been recording streamed Real files (usually .ra) for years, using Replay AV, converting to .mp3 for iTunes use. After recent upgrades from Replay AV7 to 8 and from RealPlayer 10.5 to 11, the incoming files are .rm, and either won't convert or convert empty/silent.

I've read the Forum posts and other comments, and have subsequently switched to Replay Converter 3.0 beta, reloaded K-Lite Mega codecs, and (to my irritation) gone back to RealPlayer 10.5. I don't want to use RealAlternative. The outcome is that a different converter (Jodix) will now handle the .rm to .mp3 conversions without difficulty, but Replay Converter still does nothing. Even when you toggle the DirectShow switches.

This means that the useful automation associated with Replay AV8 downloads to iTunes is gone, and the product (at least for my purposes) is largely valueless. Having just upgraded to Capture Suite, I'm concerned to get the problem sorted out.

For the record, the OS is XP Pro, on a Toshiba laptop, without any obvious system clashes. Ideally, I want to go back to RealPlayer 11 (I know it's fat), but more importantly I need Replay AV8 and Replay Converter to work on .rm to .mp3 conversions.

Thanks for the help.

Trevor Campbell Davis
London, England

If you are trying to convert the .rm files to .mp3 16 kbps format with Replay Converter 3 beta you will need to change its frequency to 32000 khz otherwise converting to .mp3 16 kbps will not work. You change the settings by right clicking the mp3 16 kbps in the list and then choose edit target format.

jonnyewing
06-30-2008, 03:14 AM
My problem sounds quite similar. I have recorded a BBC stream in Replay A/V and set it to automatically convert to MP3. The resulting MP3 was silent. The RM file plays back fine in Real Player. I tried converting the file using Replay Converter and tweaking the available settings but I still get the same result - two hours of silence.
My principle reason for purchasing Replay A/V is to record BBC programmes and play them back on my iPod, so I really hope you know how to get this to work!
For the record I am using RealPlayer 11.0.1 (32 bit version) with Windows Vista Business. This is a direct download, not a soundcard recording.
Incidentally, I have attempted to use aree RM to MP3 converter, which I shall not name, and this completely failed to work, producing a 1k file that obviously does not play anything, silent or otherwise. In fairness I don't think that software supports Windows Vista at all.

Cheryl Wester
06-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Since you have Real Player 11 installed on your system please uninstall it and use Real Player 10.5 or Real Alternative. We have found that Real Player 11 does conflict with our program. You are able to find the other files at http://www.oldversion.com. If that does not correct the issue please let me know. At this point it would be best to write to tech support for more personalized help. Thanks.

jonnyewing
07-02-2008, 09:05 AM
The good news is that my MP3 files are no longer silent - I have replaced Real Player 11 with Real Alternative and it did the trick.

Real Alternative works fine but I might consider installing Real Player 10 at some point in the future because while I agree with Mike Christensen that Real Player is a bit "bloated" I have always been very pleased with the results I get using Real Player to rip CDs - in my opinion it's much better than Windows Media Player, for example.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip. I wonder if there's any chance that future versions of Real Player will happily coexist with Replay A/V?

Cheryl Wester
07-02-2008, 09:10 AM
Hi

I'm glad that did the trick for you. Our developer is always working on improving our programs so perhaps in a future version.