PDA

View Full Version : FLV file conversion problems

yevgyeni
11-22-2008, 01:31 PM
I'm having a problem converting the FLV files generated by Replay Media Catcher into anything else - specifically from Hulu. I have other software to do the conversion, like VirtualDub and VisualHub, and none of them recognize the FLV format. The only program to recognize it seems to be Replay Converter, or the Applian Flash Video Player.

To make matters worse, when converting these Hulu files using the Replay Converter, the audio seems to stutter. Does anyone else have any problems with recognizing the FLV files generated from Hulu captures? And have you found a solution?

Cheryl Wester
11-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Hulu flv is a little different and not always easy to convert. Our developer is aware of this and constantly working on improving it for people. What version of the converter are you using to convert the file? If it is not the latest download it and see if it makes a difference.

yevgyeni
11-22-2008, 03:58 PM
I just downloaded the Converter this morning, so I'm fairly confident it's the most current one. It's frustrating, because the Hulu ads don't have any problems in conversion, and even more intersting - the latest episode of the Simpsons was recognized as a normal FLV file.

flvrecor3r
11-22-2008, 05:42 PM
That Simpson's episode is wonky. Earlier this week I d/l the 480p version. I couldn't remember whether I had it or not and was playing catch-up for weekend viewing.

Today, all that I am being served of 20x06 Simpsons is a 384x288 VP6/MP3 stream. It doesn't matter whether I'm logged in or not with my HD preferences set, or even when I supplying the direct "Hi-res" URL. I still get the low resolution, old style, streaming FLV type.

I guess I'm suggesting trying different Hulu "Hi-res" content than that particular episode when evaluating the converter.

I find MediaInfo (http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/) invaluable for determining what media type I have and to what it's been converted.

yevgyeni
11-22-2008, 08:59 PM
flvrecor3r - you have found the answer!

All of my captures were done at the high resolution setting. I went back, re-captured all of the same shows but at the lower resolution, and suddenly every file I saved was recognized as a valid FLV file!

I would definitely like to be able to use the high-res vidoes, but the low res videos are a good compromise compared to stuttering audio or being unable to watch them at all.

Jeff Lenney
11-23-2008, 02:48 PM
Bravo, now this is the type of team work I like to see! :D